no low end power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: no low end power

no low end power

i just bought a max iv and i love it. it came with 21' tires and i dont have alot of ground clearance so i get stuck in a mud puddle lol. i need to find a set of 26' tires fairly cheap if thats possible even if i have to get used ones for now. the only other thing that seems to drive me nuts is i feel like i dont have any bottom end power. i cant spin the wheels in the mud and even going up a hill it feels like im in a truck climbing a hill in 3rd gear. kinda feels like that taking off as well. it feels like if i get going it picks up speed fine but the take off is slow and turning is slow. i cant figure it out . a friend of mine said to change the belt. any suggestions? and any suggestions on where to get a set of used tires cheap. i have 8' rims now but i bought a set of 12' rims already so i just need some tires. i would like to get 26x12x12 or 26x10x12 or something close anyways. no lower than 25' and i want to stay at least 10' wide

More than likely it's the belt. Ifs it's an older max it may have never been changed. I would put a belt on it first then if that didn't help I would check my cliches

i took the clutch off and its diffrent than my buddies argo clutch. his has weights in it but my clutch has a few springs and theese little wheels that go up and down. they were pretty gummed up so i lubed them up and got them moving pretty good but i think ur right on the belt. i just got this thing a week ago and its got some bugs to work out for sure but i know nothing about theese things except what i have taken apart already by myself and i sure as heck dont want to take something apart i cant fix lol.

If there is no improvement after you change the belt, be sure that both sticks are all the way forward. If not, it will be slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by d max View Post
    ... and i sure as heck dont want to take something apart i cant fix lol.
    Now where's your sense of adventure?

You'll like this site. No matter what it is, someone else here has already bent/broken/fixed/dealt with it and will know how to steer you away from breaking/bending or can help you get back going again.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with your machine but thought I'd say hey.

Is it a salsbury clutch?
    Make sure the springs in the clutch are not broken or loose.
    2 on each roller and the rollers should roll easy on their shafts but not be sloppy.

Hello,
    Regarding engine power the low end is controlled by your idle/air screw which should be at roughly one and a 1/2 turns from closed. It should then be opened or closed an 1/8 of a turn until you maximum RPM is reached. Once reached go back an 1/8 of a turn. Give it about 5 seconds at each setting to settle. The next set is your carburetor slide chamfer or cutaway. This comes on just off idle. The chamfer angle richens or leans the mixture. The next is the low speed jet. You can go up or down in size untill you get the best power. You do this by seat of the pants performance. In other words, do it until you get the best power.
    If your low end power is not normal check for a vacuum leak. If none then see if you have a mechanical advance at the crank or ignition location. It may be sticking or stuck at full advance. a little lubricant and manipulation should free it. Also, if your timing is too far advanced your low end will suffer.
    Good luck

fixed my low end power problem

i posted a few days ago about not having any power on my max iv. i just bought this thing and could not figure out why it had no low end power. a few people posted that it could be the belt or the clutch. i took the clutch off and lubed it all up and it seemed to be fine and still no power at take off or in the mud. i called richards relics and checked my belt size which was supposed to mesure 1-3/16 in width which it was. i took the motor off because i broke a drive chain do to a sprocket that the bearing was going bad in. i tightend both drive chains and put the motor back on. when i started the max and drove it around the property, oh my god what a diffrence. it came to life. lol. i could not believe what power i was missing. anyway i just wanted to update and thank everyone for all the suggestions i got. couldnt have done it without you guys. expecially jacob 6x6.......lol
    Last edited by Mike; 02-11-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: moved thread to existing thread. No need for two threads on the same topic ;)

so it was a drive chain ?????

QUOTE from the other thread:i took the clutch off and its diffrent than my buddies argo clutch. his has weights in it but my clutch has a few springs and theese little wheels that go up and down. they were pretty gummed up so i lubed them up and got them moving pretty good
    That probably helped with the clutch performance

+ Reply to Thread