Max II ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max II ?

Max II ?

Does all the Max II s make popping noise even when your going straight. I replaced all the chain and adjusted it with the tires off the ground.It sounds like a bull doser running on tracks. The left chain adjuster looks as if it sticks out to far, the bottom chain almost rubs it.The right side has good clearance. If i slide the sprockets over the chain would rub the tub. This is my first 6x6 and was wondering if they run quiet or if they made alot of noise.The bearings have a little play mabe 1/8". Thanks for your help guys.

My guess is a bearing is going out. Dousnt take much play to put a chain out of alignment then it will pop. If u don't fix it now next u will changing sprockets and chains.

Chain stretched or the sprockets are worn.
    Maybe the chains are too tight.

Do all the sprockets line up? I had an old max once where the frame was tweaked and the sprockets on the jack shaft were out of alignment bad.

My friend's Max IV made a clicking and popping noise when his bearings were going bad.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It is clicking.I don`t think the chains are bad they aren`t but two weeks old. The adjuster is near the top.When i first bought it i took it to the only guy in town to fix 1 bearing when i got it back and 600.00 less he didn`t tighten the 4 bolts on the jack shaft,left the colar locks 3/8" away from the bearings and both chains on the left side popped off when i backed it off the trailor. My guess is the center sprocket might be out of line. I think i`ll try to replace the rest of the bearings myself. Thanks guys for for your help i hate to sell it i enjoy driving it but my 4 wheeler was less trouble. When it`s in the water it sounds ok.
    Last edited by CROSSBOW; 02-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Were the old chains stretched?
    If yes than the pitch on the sprocket could be also.
    New chain on worn sprockets will pop
    The sides of the teeth will show signs of wear from the chain and the teeth will wear to a point then the point will break off.
    Compare your sprocket to a new one and you can tell if they are worn.

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOW View Post
    It is clicking.I don`t think the chains are bad they aren`t but two weeks old. The adjuster is near the top.When i first bought it i took it to the only guy in town to fix 1 bearing when i got it back and 600.00 less he didn`t tighten the 4 bolts on the jack shaft,left the colar locks 3/8" away from the bearings and both chains on the left side popped off when i backed it off the trailor. My guess is the center sprocket might be out of line. I think i`ll try to replace the rest of the bearings myself. Thanks guys for for your help i hate to sell it i enjoy driving it but my 4 wheeler was less trouble. When it`s in the water it sounds ok.
    $600 is outrageous! I'd say it's even a bit heavy for doing all 6 bearings. Bearings cost as little as $13 each to as much as $45 for the real good ones. Also assuming about an hour labor per bearing @ $60/hr shop time. Why did he even touch the jackshaft? Did HE replace the chains too? Jackshafts must be alligned properly or it could be causing your problem. First level and square your jackshaft, then tighten the nuts in even increments....what you do to one side you must do to the other to keep the shaft level and square.
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 02-08-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: my typing sucks/fat fingers

No he just replaced the bearing on the outside. I bought the chains after getting it home. I cut the long chain 5'3 1/2" s long. After replacing the chain i did like the vid. on this site that Mike done. When its jacked up off the ground it runs fine ,hardly any noise. The guy that worked on it was the only one around here that was listed that worked on Max atvs. Took him 2 weeks. I don`t think he had ever seen a Max before, i know he didn`t know what a colar locks purpose was he left them loose on the axle. Why does it run fine when its off the ground? Thanks.

Try and back off the chain adjusters a bit and see if that helps

+ Reply to Thread