forced aspiration (supercharger)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: forced aspiration (supercharger)

forced aspiration (supercharger)

eBay Motors: Volkswagen Supercharger Turbo Jetta Beetle Golf Cabrio (item 330210770003 end time Feb-15-08 21:22:38 PST) basically an electric "turbo"....no exaust plumbing as needed for acual turbo and no belt drive as needed with conventional supercharger. has anyone aver tried one of these? also was looking into this mini belt drive supercharger which could mount on top of this flywheel stub 23h briggs in place of breather box eBay Motors: AISIN Mini Supercharger Jr. Dragster Kart Turbo Boost!! (item 170191545536 end time Feb-14-08 11:09:56 PST) heres a link to mini belt drive application Browser Warning
    Attached Images
    Last edited by srg121; 02-15-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Fun! I've thought about supercharging a small air cooled engine like the vangards. It seems like it would be difficult to get the air-fuel ratio correct with the little electric fan unit, but the mini supercharger looks interesting. I think 300cfm is WAY too much flow for a 23hp briggs, but you might be able experiment with different drive pulley's to get the right flow and psi. If you dialed in too much boost you run the risk of exploding the engine, or burning pistons and valves! Lot's of variables involved but it could be done. An efi engine like the new Kohler would be the way to go. If you could design a program to regulate fuel, exhaust temp, boost, etc and load it into the computer? Don’t know if this is possible. Keep us posted.

i'm just learning as i go,thanks for the suggestions,i did figure 300was too much and that different size pulleys could be used to compensate or "tweak".don't know a lot about building engines sept that more air/fuel = more hp! haven't talked to my engine guru yet,figured i run it by you guys first. want to go bigger on motor but this is only one ive seen with flywheel stub and figured it would make belt drive routing easyer.i guess a jack shaft could be fabed so it could be run off main shaft. was thinking bout a tensioning clutch so dont have to run all the time,kinda like mad max,pull a lever and instant boost......."look at the blower max" favorite line from movie! the mini belt drive unit just looks cool also

There certainly would be a high cool factor with the blower set up!
    You can get some good hp per dollar with that small block briggs; 35 hp is fairly easy to get with some aftermarket goodies and a little know how. You would probably spend a lot more installing the blower...

Everything I own is either supercharged or turbocharged except the ATV's. I have thought about it too. The flow of 300cfm will not be a problem, that is just the maximum flow you will have. The flow will still be controlled by the butterfly in the carb. The boost pressure is the concern. You can control the boost pressure just as you guys said by controlling the speed of the supercharger by changing pulleys. 99% of the time the supercharger would just be free wheeling and not providing any boost but actually would induce some parasitic drag. When you open it up you would increase your pressure.
    I think the factory Briggs could easily handle 5psi of boost without any mod except cooler plugs.

So for someone like whipper that can open it wot the supercharger would be an option but he also has high desert heat to worry about. So engine displacement and other conventional ways of making non aspirated power is best, just what he did.

For hill climbing or pulling through the mud I would consider nitrous. It would be much less complicated and could be controlled and used when wanted. Start looking at the lawn tractor pullers and see what they are doing to create power.

That mini roots blower is cute.. had no idea they were made. One concern would be, can that small air cooled engine dissipate the heat. For short bursts, yes.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I'd consider the boondocker universal nitrous kit. It injects into the airbox and uses the vent tube off the carb.

the nitrous has crossed my mind,and could be used in conjuntion with the blower. i just love the idea of that little belt drive blower sticking up through my engine cover,awsome attention getter/conversation piece gotta be different,even if it cost more and more involved install....it's the cool factorplus dont think engine cooling will be a problem as i am adding multible vents to engine compartment!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by srg121; 02-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Just monitor your engine temp and EGT if it gets to hot back off. The nitrous would help to cool it or you could add a CO2 system to cool the engine when under boost. A person can do just about anything as long s they want to invest the $$$.

Most of my riding is at less than 1/4 throttle but it would be nice to have the extra boost when on a steep hill or to spin the tires to clean them. The 23 hp Kohler I have will spin the tires and throw off the mud with a squeeze of the throttle.

I'd like to try a 35 HP B&S. I just don't have anything needing a new engine and the others all run fine.

I was not accurate earlier, my factory five roadster doesn't have a supercharger, I've been hunting for a used kenny bell for it.

got the engine temp and dual batterys covered,know any good gauges for the exhaust gas....that and a good tach
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread