Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is the best Swimming 25"/bigger tire for our rigs?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER SWAMPER 26X13X12 VAMPIRE ASX

6 20.00%
  • NORMAL SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRE

1 3.33%
  • MUDBUGS

0 0%
  • SUPER SWAMPER AQUATORQUE

3 10.00%
  • KENDA EXECUTIONER

1 3.33%
  • GOODYEAR 26" TERRA TIRES

13 43.33%
  • HIGHLIFTER OUTLAW

1 3.33%
  • GORILLAR SILVERBACK

0 0%
  • AT 189

3 10.00%
  • GOODYEAR RAWHIDES

4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

I need some tires for my two Hustler Bigfoots. I would like a 26 or 27 at least 12" wide. The next problem is that I primarily swim with these machines. I have access to about 12,000 acres of ponds, swamp, and property bordering rivers and my Hustlers are the only thing I have that will get me around where I want to go. I have a set of the original 26" terra tires one of my 980s and I am satisfied with there swimming performance but they lack traction in mud and I have a very hard time coming out of the water and going up a bank with them. I would love a set of 26" Super Swamper ASX but of course there not available right now unless I can find a used set. What would you guys do? I had looked into maybe some 27x12x12 regular Super Swamper Vampires but Im not sure how well they will swim compared to a ASX. If anybody has seen Jpswifts youtube video with his asx swampers on his Hustler Bigfoot it looks like it swims very well. I would like to have performance similar to his machine. What have you guys tried that swims well and is available in a size of 26" and up? Whats the next best thing now that the ASX Vampires are unavailable.??
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

I think that the ASX tires will probably be available soon, Interco's website lists a good number of blem tires in the 26x9x12 size, so the 26x13x12's should be soon to follow.

I can't speak for the swimming ability, but I have a set of 27x12x11 TSL Vampires on my Big Red, and they are the best set of tires I've ever bought.

1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Great looking big red...we got one almost identical...fun to ride wheelies on...lol

The Vampire ASX's are the hands down best overall tire for the mud and the water. The next best tire for mud would be the regular Vampires, and the fastest tire in the water, but not the best in the mud would be the stock Goodyear Super Terra Grips, which are stock on the Max IV, Super Swamp Fox, Hustler 980, etc.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I talked to a sales rep at Hydro Traxx about which tire swam the best , since the High Lifter Outlaw tire and the Good year Rawhide tire were both used on the machines that they sold. The sales rep told me that he had sold Hydro Traxx machines with weed sprayers on them for treating excess vegetation that grew around the edges of lakes. When given a choice between the Good year rawhide tire and the High Lifter Outlaw tire ,people always chose the Outlaw tire because they said it had better water speed and performed a lot better in the mud than the Good year rawhide tire.

Because the Hydro Traxx and Mudd Ox are able to counter rotate, they are able to use an Outlaw tire. But, for other amphibious machines that skid steer to change directions ,the outlaw tire is the absolute wrong choice in a tire. I have seen the Interco Vampire TSL and the Interco Aqau tire on Hustler 6x6's in the water, and the new Aqau tire swam as good as or better than the Vampire TSL. The Aqua tire also climbed up river and creek banks much better because it did'nt dig down as fast or get you stuck
    as quick as the Vampire TSL tire.

Tim at Adair Argo sales has the very best price on the new Interco Aqau tire. You might have to wait a while until the Interco ASX becomes available again.

I talked to a sales rep at Hydro Traxx about which tire swam the best , since the High Lifter Outlaw tire and the Good year Rawhide tire were both used on the machines that they sold. The sales rep told me that he had sold Hydro Traxx machines with weed sprayers on them for treating the excess vegetation that grew around the edges of the area lakes. When given a choice between the Good year rawhide tire and the High Lifter Outlaw tire people always chose the Outlaw tire because it had better water speed and performed better in the mud than the Good year rawhide tire.

But, the Hydro traxx can counter rotate and most other amphibious machines skid steer to change direction. With that being said ,the Outlaw tire would be the absolute wrong choice for a skid steer machine.

Another good atv mud tire that we have tried that performs better in the mud and swim about equal to or better than the Interco Vampire tire in the water, is the Interco Aqua tire.

The is a video showing how well the Aqua tire swims in the water.

The last video is with the Interco Vampire TSL's on a Hustler 950 crossing the Sabine river in Texas

Last edited by mudbug3; 02-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks for the post and the videos mudbug. Have you seen the aqua torq's on a Hustler 980 yet? I wonder if they would still swim well being that they would probably sit deeper in the water than on a 950? Your making them sound better and better. I wish they came in a 26 or 27 for 12" wheels. How do they ride compared to a vampire or my stock goodyear terra 26's?
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I think that the ASX tires will probably be available soon, Interco's website lists a good number of blem tires in the 26x9x12 size, so the 26x13x12's should be soon to follow.

I can't speak for the swimming ability, but I have a set of 27x12x11 TSL Vampires on my Big Red, and they are the best set of tires I've ever bought.

I have a set of 26" vampires on my 600 Grizzly and love them. The only tire I liked better was the Itp Mud Lites in 30" because they rode like a dream.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    Thanks for the post and the videos mudbug. Have you seen the aqua torq's on a Hustler 980 yet? I wonder if they would still swim well being that they would probably sit deeper in the water than on a 950? Your making them sound better and better. I wish they came in a 26 or 27 for 12" wheels. How do they ride compared to a vampire or my stock goodyear terra 26's?
    The Aqua Torque tires ride better than the Terra tires I'd say! I would also say that they ride equal to a 6-ply Mudbug tire. When we had our amphib group ride at River Run atv park, we had 5 psi in all of the tires. This was based on the combined weight of the passenger and driver. The Aqua tires did'nt swim too well with this much weight in the tub, but I had 3.5 psi in my Terra tires that are on my Max IV , and with the combined weight of three people in the tub, my Terra tires hardly swam either. lol. We ran out of time at the end of the day, but I did get to watch 9 yr old JR drive the 980 into a deep pond and the Aqua Torque tires swam about 1.7 mph. The Aqua tires also skid steer easier that the ASX tires do. Interco designed the Aqua tire for skid steer machines. They wanted this tire to provide good skid steering, outstanding traction, and clean out well. The Interco Vampire, and ASX tire were designed for atv's not skid steer machines.

Even if you could buy the ASX tires now for your Hustler 980 , your water speed would'nt be as fast as jpswift1's Hustler 980. Members on the forum with deep tub Hustler 980's will tell you that the ASX tires swm faster on the shorter 980 tubs.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 02-19-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Thats interesting. I thought Jp and I had the exact same tub? Do we not? Good info keep it coming guys.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

+ Reply to Thread