Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is the best Swimming 25"/bigger tire for our rigs?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER SWAMPER 26X13X12 VAMPIRE ASX

6 20.00%
  • NORMAL SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRE

1 3.33%
  • MUDBUGS

0 0%
  • SUPER SWAMPER AQUATORQUE

3 10.00%
  • KENDA EXECUTIONER

1 3.33%
  • GOODYEAR 26" TERRA TIRES

13 43.33%
  • HIGHLIFTER OUTLAW

1 3.33%
  • GORILLAR SILVERBACK

0 0%
  • AT 189

3 10.00%
  • GOODYEAR RAWHIDES

4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

and here is one on the stock goodyear terra on a max iv

video not embedded so the video start at 185 seconds... and yes, the people are speaking French

Argo - Terrebonne mai 2011 - YouTube

It's not all about the tire brand or model, some tires do better under a machine but are not so great under another.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    Thats interesting. I thought Jp and I had the exact same tub? Do we not? Good info keep it coming guys.

I thought that you had a deep tub Hustler 980, but if the clearance above all your tires looks the same as jpswift1's Hustler 980 then your water speed will be the same as his with the same kind of tires. The deep tub Hustler 980's were able to run tracks over the 26" inch tires ,and with about 4 inches of tub clearance. The deep tub Hustler's would be awesome with some Adair tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    The deep tub Hustler 980's were able to run tracks over the 26" inch tires ,and with about 4 inches of tub clearance.

any picture of this ?
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Mudbug is absolutely correct about the tall tub 980 fitting the tracks. The shorter tub 980, which I have swims VERY well with the Vampire ASX's, but I've heard that some of the guys with the taller tub 980's and ASX's, that their machine doesn't swim that well. I'm guessing because the shorter tub 980 keeps the water from being thrown forward as much, making it swim faster.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

jpswift1

My theory is this:

On the Hustler 980 that is'nt the deep tub model ,it has the curved parts of the lower tub closer over the front and rear tires. When the tires are spinning the curved part of the tub helps better to channel the water downward and this helps increase the tires floation slightly out of the water. This is my theory about why your Hustler 980 perfroms much better in the water than the deeper tub 980's.

Jp after looking at your videos your tub is noticeably shorter than mine. Is your lower tub the same size as a 950 model?
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

There are three variants of the tubs (not counting the older models). There's the 950, the 980 Short, and 980 Tall. There's about 3" of difference in lower tub height between the short/tall models, but you're still limited to the same maximum tire size. The axle spacing is the limiting factor. The 27" Executioners I run only measure out at about 26.2 or so at a comfortable pressure, and the rear/middle tires juuuuuuuust about touch.

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    Jp after looking at your videos your tub is noticeably shorter than mine. Is your lower tub the same size as a 950 model?
    No, my machine is a Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, not a 950. My tub is much deeper than a 950 tub. It came stock with 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grips. There are two variations of the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT. The very deep tub, and then just the deep tub. The 950 tub is not the same depth at all compared to either 980.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    No, my machine is a Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, not a 950. My tub is much deeper than a 950 tub. It came stock with 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grips. There are two variations of the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT. The very deep tub, and then just the deep tub. The 950 tub is not the same depth at all compared to either 980.
    http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=31&g=3

Got it!! Hey I was on the interco websit and im thinking that the 26x12x12 Vampire TSL/ATV tire may be a good choice for Hustler. It has less tread and a flatter profile so it shouldnt dig so bad. On the website, Interco says that it has less lateral traction than the regular vampire to prevent rollovers. Im thinking it would do well on a skid steer. Question being will it swim well or even at all. Tires are such a big investment I hate to buy a set without asking around and getting all the input I can on them. Someone did email me and say that they had a set of the new aqua torqs on a deep tubbed Hustler 980 like mine and that they did swim some but that they where very hard to turn with and that they rode very rough. Tires seem to perform totally different from one machine to the next. If I had the performance of the argo in mudbugs videos I would be very satisfied with that. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Last edited by highrollinmopars; 02-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    jpswift1

My theory is this:

On the Hustler 980 that is'nt the deep tub model ,it has the curved parts of the lower tub closer over the front and rear tires. When the tires are spinning the curved part of the tub helps better to channel the water downward and this helps increase the tires floation slightly out of the water. This is my theory about why your Hustler 980 perfroms much better in the water than the deeper tub 980's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    I would have to agree Dave, The tub would channel the cast-off water downward and actually give "lift" aiding the tires swimming ability. I also think that the higher the machine floats the more tire you have above water, ideally if you had a machine that would float so that you had half or less of the tire submerged then you would have a VERY fast swimmer with most any tire that had a good "cupping" ability. Look at the way the old paddle wheel river boats were configured. The axle of the wheel was high above the waterline, therefore giving maximum propulsion. Remember how low in the water my 950 sat, and it was a dog in the water due to this. But remember how fast it was when Evan would drive it by himself, less weight = higher float = faster water speed.

JP, the width and length of the tubs are basically the same, as you know, but the added height of the 980 tub gives quite a bit more flotation because the curved area of the "fenders" is higher than the same area on the 950, but not as high as the 980 deep tub, and this gives better flow control. I think the 950 loses that because it is too short AND too tight, the deep tub is too tall and allows the water to just fly all over but as you and Dave have both said, the 980 gives better flow control. This makes me curious though, if it were possible to weigh both types of 980 machines and add weight to get them exactly the same, with the same air pressure and tires would one sit higher in the water than the other? Would this be due solely to the shape of the tub, and so help explain why one swims better than the other?
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

+ Reply to Thread