Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: What is the best Swimming 25"/bigger tire for our rigs?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER SWAMPER 26X13X12 VAMPIRE ASX

6 20.00%
  • NORMAL SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRE

1 3.33%
  • MUDBUGS

0 0%
  • SUPER SWAMPER AQUATORQUE

3 10.00%
  • KENDA EXECUTIONER

1 3.33%
  • GOODYEAR 26" TERRA TIRES

13 43.33%
  • HIGHLIFTER OUTLAW

1 3.33%
  • GORILLAR SILVERBACK

0 0%
  • AT 189

3 10.00%
  • GOODYEAR RAWHIDES

4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Tires that Swim Great!!??

Have you guys ever weighed a stock 12" 980 steel wheel? Its heavy! I bet going to an aluminium wheel would give enough weight difference to make it ride higher in the water and maybe even be more stable. I need new axles for my second 980 I should have the hubs made for 4 lug instead of 5. Then I could buy a nice set of aluminum I t p wheels.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    ...and maybe even be more stable.
    I don't know if it would make it any more stable, but if you're speaking from experience, you know that ANYTHING you can do to make a 980 tall tub more stable in the water is a huge plus.

highrollinmopars

I watched a video of an Argo 8x8 Conquest that had the Interco " Super Swamper TSL's that you posted the web link of. These tires are terrible in the water and hardly swim at all. As Brushcutter has posted , an atv mud tire needs ' cupped lugs ' to help it swim. I have driven a Max IV with GBC Gator tires, Interco ASX tires, Good year Terra tires , Kenda Executioner tires, Hustler 980 with Aqua Torque tires and ASX tires. The Terra tire is a 6 ply tire and it does'nt ride any better than all of the mud tires that I have mentioned. The forum member jpswift1 says the Terra tires ride like man hole covers. I agree! Because Terra tires have a very flat profile ,they don't skid steer easy either in my opinion.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 02-20-2012 at 07:40 PM.

The AT 189 Argo tire is a great swimmer and pretty good in the mud, but what hurts the tires is it's tall price. I have had great luck running them on the Avengers. According to the GPS 3.9 mph with the 26 HP Kohler engine. Haven't tracked the info with the new machine. I am referring to the 25x12x9 tires.

S.S. TSL /ATV | Interco Tire

Got it!! Hey I was on the interco websit and im thinking that the 26x12x12 Vampire TSL/ATV tire may be a good choice for Hustler. It has less tread and a flatter profile so it shouldnt dig so bad. On the website, Interco says that it has less lateral traction than the regular vampire to prevent rollovers. Im thinking it would do well on a skid steer. Question being will it swim well or even at all. Tires are such a big investment I hate to buy a set without asking around and getting all the input I can on them. Someone did email me and say that they had a set of the new aqua torqs on a deep tubbed Hustler 980 like mine and that they did swim some but that they where very hard to turn with and that they rode very rough. Tires seem to perform totally different from one machine to the next. If I had the performance of the argo in mudbugs videos I would be very satisfied with that. Thanks for all the input guys.
    The Interco TSL ATV tires aren't a really good chocie. They don't swim,....some AATV people have tried. Also. the tread isn't very aggressive. I'd look into another tire.

OK, I'm adding info on the rest of the Super Swamper tires. This has been discussed many times before before, but here it is again. If there are tires that swim faster than what I have, I personally don't care, as long as I get to the other side of the small body of water that I'm crossing. I use my AATVs on the trails, mud, etc, 99% of the time. I'm in the water 1% of the time. If you use your machines in the water most of the time, get the biggest tire that is the least expensive, most durable, and fastest in the water.........that would be the stock 26" Goodyear Super Terra Grip.

Here's the info on the Super Swamper line.....

The Interco TSL/ATV tires don't swim, and they're not as aggressive as the Vampires or the Vampire ASX's.
    http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=31&g=3

The Interco Vampires swim somewhat well and have the deepest, very aggressive tread.
    http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=29&g=3

The Interco Vampire ASX's swim well depending on what machine they're on.....they're fast on my shorter tub Hustler 980, but not as fast on a Hustler 980 tall tub for example. The tread is very aggressive and deep, but a few tenth of an inch shorter than the Vampires.
    http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=48&g=3

There is no perfect tire, so just find one that suits your riding needs. You said you're mostly using yours in water, so just get the tire that performs the best in the water. As I said, I'm not going to nit pick every little detail about tires swimming because I only use my machine in the water 1% of all the time I'm riding. Everything is a compromise, so take into consideration the information here you read on in this and other threads from credible people that have tried them themselves, like Lewis, Hydromike, Mike, and the many others and you'll be pleased with the decision you make.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 02-20-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added more info on the other tires.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

UPDATE:

So far on my 980 Hustler deep tub bigfoot I have tried the 25x12x9 Rawhide III's, the 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grips, and I have now tried the 26x13x12 Vampire ASX's. For swimming ability the ASX's and the Goodyear Terras are both close swimmers I think with the rawhides coming in last. The Asx's ride far far better than either the rawhides or the Super Terras. I havent seen any mud action yet. I should have the Adair tracks on this weekend and hopefully I can compare them. Thanks guys.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Wow "T", I wouldn't think that you would put the ASX's and the Terras as close swimmers. Any way it goes, I know that you cant wait to see some mud with the tracks!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Greenville, South Carolina, United States, 107600062603098, Greenville, South Carolina
    To me the Goodyear super terras swim very fast them asx I have both of them tire, Goodyear super terras on max iv and asx on the hustler .

I was pleasantly surprised myself. I really really love the ASX's.. They performed better than I expected.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

I was pleasantly surprised myself. I really really love the ASX's.. They performed better than I expected.
    They're the absolute BEST all around AATV tire, and they're one of the best, if not the very best tires for deep sticky mud. Interco needs to start making these again ASAP!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread