argo charging system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: argo charging system

argo charging system

We have an older argo, 86 we think, 6 wheeler we are using to sugar in northern VT. We recently had the rings done on the old 16 hp tecumseh engine. Everything was put back in and it runs well for a tecumseh, our problem now is that the battery runs dead after a few uses. We disconnected the lights to save on juice. All that the bat. runs is the fuel pump and starter at start up. Brand new battery as that was our first replacement. Is there a good way to test the stator? I was told by the person that overhauled the engine that the engine would not have started for him on the lift after he did the rings if the stators were bad, does that sound right? We are not the best at electrical work but we can turn a wrech. Also the fuel pump looks to be an add on. Why would this be necessary? I assume these machines did not need fuel pumps at manufacture time. Thanks

Does your machine have a blower to supply cooling air to the brake rotors? If so, I'll guess that's where your battery is going.

Joe.

no blower motor this is a no frills machine lights and fuel pump that is all thank you

You need to check the battery voltage when it's not running and then start it,turn on the lights and check it while it's running...should be more volts when running.
    You could have something draining the battery when it's not running.
    Remove the ground wire on the battery and see if you get any spark when you touch it on the post. If it sparks something is using power.
    A battery shut off switch will solve that problem.

Fuel pump is needed to supply fuel to the engine.
    Gravity only works if the tank is higher than the carb and you are always on level ground.

Pilot are you saying you have an electric fuel pump? Tecumseh's were very common for bad fuel pumps because they were way over engineered and mated directly to the carb so maybe someone divorced your pump from the carb and is now using an e pump? if so most aftermarket pumps do use too much power even more so when they put a regulator on it
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Thanks for the info. It is an after market electric fuel pump. In fact we put in a new on with less pounds than the nor that was on it after it quit. I assumed that the stator should be more than able to keep the battery charged. I do not think that there is something draining the battery when it is not running because we have left it for day's and not had a problem starting it. It quits while it is being run around gathering etc. we tend not to run it at high throttle low gear etc. a volt meter should show me where the problem is I was told I could bypass the charging system with an alternator. I am finding that these older Argos seem to have one problem after another although my dad at 67 says it is as close to his old tracster as he could find. The tracks are the ticket!

To test the output voltage of the stator, connect the two wires coming from the stator to a volt meter set at ac volts.
    With the engine running at 2000 rpm the reading should be 13 volts or more. If it's less than 12 volts, then the stator is probably weak.

Thank you I will give that a try and see where it is at.

I agree totally, if you have 12 volts or greater (14 is nice) of current while the rig is running between the battery terminals, it is working. If not, people have them on here. I think almost every argo needs an alternator, I just haven't figured out where to put mine yet.

I went up this weekend. Did not get around to testing the stator. Had an interesting time with the Argo. Jumped in the rig started up broke our trails for gathering rode for 20 min. Stalled it at one point and the battery would not turn over the starter. Hooked up the vector started the rig ran it all over but as soon as we shut it down would not turn over the starter. Had enough juice to run the fuel pump but not enough to crank the starter.may just be that the starter requires a lot of juice not sure. Wish it had a true recoil back-up. Still think I have a charging issue bad ground ect. Hopefully we can get through sugaring.

+ Reply to Thread