Tecumseh 18

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tecumseh 18

Tecumseh 18

Hey guys I have an old 18 hp tecumseh that I'm working on. It's an overhead valve engine. It has a little two inch breather tube on top of the valve cover. When it's running, oil spits out of this tube. Any thoughts?
    Finding out that these machines are never actually "finished"
    1970 Argo
    1985 Coot

Sounds like an OH180 with worn valves. The OH160 is a lot more common, and I think the heads will interchange (but the valves are smaller on the 16 horse). You can still get most parts for them through Tecumseh, or on ebay.

Good luck with it.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don't forget the obvious and make sure you don't have too much oil in it. I had the same engine in a 16hp in my 1969 Bolens 1220, and that silly thing always liked to run right at the low end of the oil level, else I had the problem you describe. Valves are DIRT SIMPLE to replace on that though, and with its age, I'd do it anyhow.

Planter Bob

quiethorse - oil issues

I had the same problem with my OH160.
    Solved the problem by taking off the valve cover and turning it 180 deg so the internal splash guard would stop the oil from splashing into the tube.
    If that doesn't work, try dynamite.

Hey Quiethorse, did you manage to keep this puppy from spittin' oil out the breather yet? If you don't want to dive in too deep, try letting out the oil until it's on the low side of the dispstick and see what happens. A lot of these old Tecumseh engines dont' like to run on the high side. Frankly, most of air-cooled beasts are like that, including most lycoming/continental aircraft engines I've seen.

Did U ever figure out the issue? Curious. I seem to be having the same issue.

+ Reply to Thread