jlo440 seems to not want to run

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: jlo440 seems to not want to run

My 2 stroke idles at 1800 to 2000 rpm and revs to 7000 +
    Any less and it starts to foul the plugs.
    It wont be anything like your vespa
    It shouldnt smoke after the rebuild.(unless theres too much oil in your mix) and thats ok
    for the first tank.
    If the inlet needle isnt seating it will run rich and spit fuel and smoke out the exhaust.

Use a good quality oil.
    Page 1 of this link has your answers.

http://www.vintagesnow.com/Carbureto...aintenance.pdf

Hi all,Thanks to everyone for their input. I finally got the engine running today..and it does idle fast. I need to hook up a tach to see what it is idling at but 1700 is probably realistic.

THe fluid in the transmission was low so I topped it off with Dexron Mercron and some limited slip stuff. I did not change all of the fluid.

I drove it for the first time. NOW...I have new questions and will be posting in Transmission section...BUT...the key is that I drove it...after 3 years of messing around with it.

The engine runs fine...starting it is a bit frustrating...I think that hte needle/seat is funky as Mr Bazoo mentioned.
    It is a hoot to drive but I think now I have transmission issues.

Thanks for all of the help!

Chris

Great that its running.
    Pull the plugs after you drive it and post us pics.
    Where did you end up setting the hs needle?

Hi bazoo,
    I need to get one new plug. I had one that would not spark (this was about a week or so ago when I found that out...so I used a spare one I had). I will run and take pics of the plugs next time.

The HS needle is set at about 1/2 turn. That is probably too lean but if I open it too much, it would not like to idle...so there is something wonky in the carb I think. I did note that the needle is NOT bent...but when I screw it in, it does not center in the brass seat...it kind of sits to the side...and if I turn it in and out, it stays to the side (also indicating that the needle itself is not bent...so the carb threads seem to be tapped non concentric to the bore of the brass seat...if that makes sense??

The Idle needle is out about 1.5 turns

It runs like a scalded dog..and is kind of loud...now I know why people go to 4 stroke.

Quick question: On the MAX, the hose from the exhaust collector to the muffler is a helical flat thing..like what they use on your car when they "replace" your catylitic converter...
    ANyway, it goes through the polypro body...so the question is...where do I find the gasket that seals that gap around the exhaust tube

Thanks again!!!WOOHOO

Cant help with the gasket but one of the max guys should know where to get one.
    Sounds like the hs needle or threads are messed up. You could replace the needle...(it might be the wrong size or length)
    You dont want to run it lean.

Exhaust

I used high temp red silicone between flex pipe and body,has held up so far.

hello all,
    long time no posting. i had the transmission out and really there was nothing to report...it may ne that the laterals were out of adjustment.

so, back at trying to start this dang engine. i had to pull start it about 75 times or so and did manage to get it running but i cannot get it to idle. i adjusted the lo speed needle but it seems to make no difference. i did buy a set of mikunis from toys4me but the intakes are made for the carbs to sit parallel to the ground...based on the engine sitting pright. mine sits at an angle and it looks like i will not be able to use these.

so...back to square one. i cannot afford a BS engine swap now..so...any suggestions for a reasonable carb upgrade that has been done which will at least get me back up and running?

thanks all...wish i was at busco beach.

regards
    chris

The idle screw should be set to just start opening the throttle plate or a bit more at first or it wont idle.
    Set the mixture screws at 1 turn open to start with untill you get it running.
    After you pull it 4 or 5 times with the choke on do you see fuel dripping from the carb?
    If yes its flooding and wont fire till you pull the plugs and clear the cylinders of fuel.
    Make sure the plugs are sparking before you put them back in.
    It should at least fire after 3 pulls.

CARB

Chris where are you located? I have a tilliston on a 400 JLO that you could try,works fine.

+ Reply to Thread