h.p. ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: h.p. ?

h.p. ?

I see everything new and a lot of machines modded. I recently bought a 1300 scrambler it has a stock 7 hp briggs pull start and no electrical anything on it. i just found a cast iron 8hp electric start for $100. so far with the 7 hp. its handled every hill and obstacle Ive thrown at it. i just want electric start and some lights. does this seem like a wise choice or is there some reason i would need more power? i dont need to go fast with it. thanks btw.. its supposed to be flyingbones my wife signed me up i guess she prefers the flying bone

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Bone View Post
    its supposed to be flyingbones my wife signed me up i guess she prefers the flying bone
    Hahahahaha, I've found that most women do.

The 8HP Briggs would be good, especially for the price. If you were to find a 10 or 12, that would be even better, but as I said, for the price you can't go wrong. If you didn't like it and wanted to upgrade in the future you could always sell the 8HP for what you paid for it, if not more.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Aggressive tires and the tough terrain we ride in eat up the HP. With the stock baloon tires and keeping it on solid ground, the low HP would probably be ok.
    Personally I wouldnt put less than a 16 hp duromax in it. DuroMax 16 HP Go Kart Log Splitter Gas Power Engine Motor-XP16HPE Electric Start (891784001112) | eBay
    It is better to have more HP and not use it than need it and not have it.

how reliable is that brand seems pretty cheap for a new 16hp. well if power is really what i need i could find a cheap three cyl. yanmar diesel. im trying to justify more weight fore more power with torqe converted 6 wheel drive. trust me i understand i dont want run out of power.but theirs a point where the extra weight comes into play and im not yet familiar with that aspect of a 6x6.

Many members have had great luck with that little engine. I would go with that over the diesel in your machine as I feel the diesel may be over kill.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I wouldn't use a diesel or an engine with high horsepower because the early Scrambler drivetrain cannot handle that much power. The later model Scramblers had a beefed up drivetrain when they came with the 16HP OHV Tecumsehs.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

how are they as far as getting parts for? thank you my model only had a 7 or 8 in it thats why i was wondering no point in more power than its made to handle i think think that old 8 for $100. is the way to go like i said i haven't had any trouble with the 7hp. it handles my swamp and mud hole just fine i would stay with it but that over the shoulder pull from the seat isn't exactly what i want to be doing every time i come to ground from the water. oh and the yanmar was a joke i just happen to no were to get a torn down kubota with a 16hp yanmar but yes overkill.lol.my scrambler is light and i kinda like that!.
    Last edited by Flying Bone; 04-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I have a powermax 16hp which is the same same thing as the duromax. They just changed the name. Starts right up, even in winter temps. I did have the plastic flywheel fan come off though but it was under warranty through maxtools still and they sent me a new one no problem. I had a coil go out but I think it was because of a short in the wire. I bought a honda 13hp coil and it bolted right on. Other then that its been a great motor. I run it with the governor bypassed and it takes the abuse. I broke it in up in baldwin in a go kart mini buggy thing I built. So I probably didnt break it in right either, lol. Id buy another in a heart beat assuming the quality hasnt changed since then. I guess it was in 2007 I bought it.

The duromax motors are a chinese clone of the honda gx390 (13hp). Yes they are cheap, but very durable and easy to find parts for. In stock form they run lean to meet emissions, but opening up the carb jet, or simply buying a new one fixes that. Lean=good emissions not good horsepower anyway. lol Go kart racers are using these things and bumping the hp to over 50 ponies....granted the only stock things are the crank and block. LOL
    For the money, it is a good choice.

thanks i will keep it in mind if somthing happens to the 8hp.

+ Reply to Thread