another track idea

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: another track idea

here is a question though, should the chains holding them together be attached close to the grouser(near the face of the tire) or down the side of the guide part(down the sidewall of the tire more)?

-Owen[/QUOTE]

Ideally you should always try and run the belting out on the tip of the tire to help eliminate chain bind in the drive train your problem will probably be trying to hold the wheel guide steady so that they dont just fold over and roll off the tire...in your case it would be much better to connect them at the tip of the wheel guide so that they are held firmly over the tire...this will also shorten the length of the track and reduce the number of parts needed...as far as chain windup, shouldnt be any issue with your design as the surface of a round pipe wont get enough grip on the tread of the center tire to do much damage.

There is a forum member that fitted an early generation of adair tracks on a max 2 with 21" rawhides and the pictures he posted will help you a lot to conceptualize your final design

Show us pictures if you get somthing built

Best of luck

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by truckinwagen View Post
    ok, that was my inclination, but wanted someone else to say it too.

I built a test tread, I have high hopes for the track idea, but there is not enough room between the tub and tire(damn maxII!) so some way of spacing the tires out will be neccicary, and possibly even a smaller tire(I have 22" runamuks on it now)

the price quote from my local argo dealer for spacers is really stupid, so something else will have to be figured out for that.

I'll try to get the photos of the test tread up soon.

-Owen

You just need a MaxII Bigfoot.....then you'd have room for the tracks over 25" tires.
    Attached Images

thebuggyman1

Your Max II is going to be sweet with a set of Adair tracks on top of 25 inch tires.

Pvc conduit will crack when its cold and distort when it gets hot in the sun.
    I wouldnt use it for anything other than running wires thru.
    Steel conduit would be stronger but it will crush flat on impact.

Obsessed: i will do my best to try to mimic your technology, and when some day i graduate colledge i will be calling you for a set of real tracks. My hat is off to you sir, that you still take the time to try out new technologies!!! It is most impressive that you will take the time to help us all along!!! I hope others recognize this, and again, thank you so very very much!

Tuckinwagin: Go for it man. I dont think you can shatter those PVC pipes unless you get stupid with them. Yes they will get brittle, how ever, if they are filled full of foam, it should be MORE impact resistant. I only say foam because what ever HP you have you can half it when you track your MAX II. Just watch for cracks, and carry the next size bigger pipe with you, pvc glue and hose clamps. If worst come to worst, you can take new PVC pipe split down the middle, the PVC glue and clamp bolth half of the bigger pipe right around a DESTORYED pipe and then hose clamp it on the ends and in the middle, and i thinkyou should have a GEAT chance of still limping home. if you carry all that prefabed, i think you could manage even if you BREAK a pipe completly in half! do you see what i mean? if not ill make a picture!

I thought about getting an injection mould made and producing the grousers and guides as 1 piece that would bolt to bands of thick rubber along the sides. I have my own design and would make them from recycled plastic or rubber.
    The cost would be around $50k for the initial mould and then need to find someone to produce the pieces.
    Customers would be able to assemble the tracks themselves. I figured by the time you purchased all the hardware and material to make a set for a 6x6 they would have to sell for about $900 per set. And they would only fit 1 tire size(unless you made a mould for different sizes)
    To start a company that produces this type of product the startup would be close to $200k and with investors you would need to sell a lot of tracks just to get your money back.
    In the past 25 years i have built and installed many different types of conveyor systems so i know a bit about the industry.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-24-2012 at 11:31 AM.

I think the weak part would be the bolt holes it would be getting stress from all sides as you drive

Quote Originally Posted by truckinwagen View Post
    I really like the design of the adair track, but finances being what they are I am not going to own a set anytime soon. even a used set of supertracks is more than I can afford.
    it will be hard to match the durability and quality of the adair tracks for cheap..

On a budget, the snowmobile rubber tracks are king but will not swim in deep water.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    I thought about getting an injection mould made and producing the grousers and guides as 1 piece that would bolt to bands of thick rubber along the sides. I have my own design and would make them from recycled plastic or rubber.
    The cost would be around $50k for the initial mould and then need to find someone to produce the pieces.
    Customers would be able to assemble the tracks themselves. I figured by the time you purchased all the hardware and material to make a set for a 6x6 they would have to sell for about $900 per set. And they would only fit 1 tire size(unless you made a mould for different sizes)
    To start a company that produces this type of product the startup would be close to $200k and with investors you would need to sell a lot of tracks just to get your money back.
    In the past 25 years i have built and installed many different types of conveyor systems so i know a bit about the industry.

People on the forum have balked at the price of the Adair tracks ,but they don't consider all of the money and R&D time that Tim has now invested in 10 other track designs to get his newest version of Adair tracks to market.

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    it will be hard to match the durability and quality of the adair tracks for cheap..

On a budget, the snowmobile rubber tracks are king but will not swim in deep water.
    this is true, I am not trying to replace adiars for cheap, just using them for inspiration.

as for the snowmachine track idea, while it is a great one, it is really hard to get a used track for less than $250 each around here. and shipping is so ridiculous that getting them from outside is not an option either.

-Owen

+ Reply to Thread