Strange encounter today

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strange encounter today

I'm with mustang always good to have a firearm on u never know when u might have to protect yourself. Back to the gun thread where i stated the reasons I carried a firearm (bears, coyotes, snakes, alligators) let me add crackheads to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp donkey View Post
    I'm with mustang always good to have a firearm on u never know when u might have to protect yourself. Back to the gun thread where i stated the reasons I carried a firearm (bears, coyotes, snakes, alligators) let me add crackheads to the list.
    Our brothers in canada will agree 100% but it is (correct me if im wrong) kind of a pain to do that up there like we do in the USA. And besides, a full can of bear mace will handle 3 out of 4 on your list I know it will jack a snake right up but i dont know about gators.....

Quote Originally Posted by swamp donkey View Post
    it takes some very large stainless steel balls to shot someone with a firearm, and it's something that will stays in your mind for a long time... better be ready to live with the doubts about your decision to shoot. It's easy to be tough with words but there's a reason why cops have extensive psychological support when it happens.

Better carry pepper spray made for bears or a tazer (still illegal in Canada)
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post

This was an encounter with what I like to call "A Zombie". Not to be confused with the slow moving zombies of the 50's and 60's, but a quick moving zombie of the 21st century.

RD
    Zombie eh? Hornady has just the bullet for this!

Not getting into a P****** match here we all deal with things differently,but I feel the same on this as Smog,bear spray can give you a huge advantage and give you some lee way with the legal system up here in guns are bad country Canada.Be careful out there Rock Doctor you travel with them beautiful kids of yours they love their Daddy be safe at all costs.JMO N.C.T

LOL, It's pretty obvious that I live a "Sheltered" life up here, this is not a common occurance. Especially in random spots out in the bush. The bright side is that I'm not completely helpless.
    For those that are interested, there are ways to "carry" up here in Canada.
    A Free Miners Licence and a few pages of Hoops to jump through will allow you to carry on your claims (I used to have claims in some strange locations)
    If you work out in the bush, in remote locations, you can get a permit to carry (If you have a letter from your employer detailing your work scope). It's easier if you are working in the bush alone, like I do in many instances.
    Or, if you get fed up with the paperwork, and renewal process, you can just go with a "Mare's Leg" which fits the physical description for a "Handgun" in length, but is designed to be fired with 2 hands. The designation of 2 hands means that it's NOT a handgun, and can be packed as a rifle. Mine is a 45 LC.

As for Bear Spray, I have used it numerous times on actual bears. It's pretty much useless. Oh sure, the bears initial reaction is to run, but all too often they only run 20-50ft before they realize it's not so bad. They often will turn right around and come straight back to you, licking their lips the whole way. Bear Spray is considered a Weapon here, and if used on a person, you will be getting a visit from the Cops, and be in almost as much trouble as if you had used a gun.

Personally, I'm all in favor of the 3S solution.

RD

I assume RD you have the better spray,there are a couple options not always available over the counter,what I have may or may not stop our measly black bears dont know but it sure as H would drop a grown man.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    I assume RD you have the better spray,there are a couple options not always available over the counter,what I have may or may not stop our measly black bears dont know but it sure as H would drop a grown man.
    Still nasty stuff for sure, we have to fire bottles off in training for work. Not nice when people screw around and it gets fired off to close to the group, or gets blown in the wrong direction by the wind. We cleared out the whole Front Office at work one time, when the Bear Spray got sucked into the fresh air intake for the building.

Still, I would prefer not to have to worry about stuff like this, guess I'm going to have to grow up some day

RD

3S is the best. Works on Bears and Zombies. Shot a bear on the floats of our plane once. It was pushing on the door trying to get at us. Poor thing was starving to death. Tried everything to get rid of it, shot at its feet, in the air, started the plane (we were tied up so we couldn't leave). After 30 minutes we ended up shooting it. I reported it to fish and wildlife so let them know the bears aren't doing well that spring and they may want to let the camps know.........Instead the wildlife officer gave me a warning for not carrying bear bangers........(what the dif is between a 12 gauge and bear bangers in that situation is, I can't tell you). I asked why I would get a warningg, she replied "Because I have to write SOMETHING up that you did wrong"..... Ah the bureaucracy.........

Anyway, that is one freaky story. I would not have trusted that guy for a second. Def on drugs or running from something.

+ Reply to Thread