cost of production

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: cost of production

cost of production

what do you think realistically how much it would cost to get a building and tool it to build 6x6s and 8x8s what equipment would be needed. How much man power.
    if a person bought property somewhere where the real estate is hurting and people need jobs would be the best deal. I know lots of machine shops are always going bankrupt and you can get equipment for pennies on the dollar.
    with enough interest in terms of members willing to invest and the combined knowledge, creating and building our own 6x6/8x8 for a reasonable price could be doable.
    7000 plus members at say $5000.00 buy in set up as a corporation.

it doesn't take much tooling for frame and other parts as you can get them cut by another shop for just a bit more than the value of steel.

What is not cheap is the tooling for the plastic body. the machine is not that expensive but the molds are and difficult to make right the first time. And then, the minimum order QTY to cover the setup fees are LARGE

everything can be milled and welded elsewhere and the final assembly could be done in a simple shop with air tools.

I'm really for sub-contracting and not having to worry about lazy workers, unions and safety regulations.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Not trying to discourage you but there are no where near 7000 active members and you would be hard pressed to find 7of them with $5000 worth of disposable income available to be invested in such a venture.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by azz7772 View Post
    what do you think realistically how much it would cost to get a building and tool it to build 6x6s and 8x8s what equipment would be needed. How much man power.
    if a person bought property somewhere where the real estate is hurting and people need jobs would be the best deal. I know lots of machine shops are always going bankrupt and you can get equipment for pennies on the dollar.
    with enough interest in terms of members willing to invest and the combined knowledge, creating and building our own 6x6/8x8 for a reasonable price could be doable.
    7000 plus members at say $5000.00 buy in set up as a corporation.
    Funny you should ask that as I'm investigating the same thing myself, LOL

Just FYI

The cost to set up a true manufacturing facility would be 2-3 mm easy. I doubt with the market that would be a good idea.

It would be better to farm most of it out and have an assembly plant ( more along the lines of 500k)

If my project goes through, ask me in about 18 months and I will probably be able to give you real world actual figures

A few years ago there was talk of getting a production run for new Attex poly bodies and I don't think we could even find 10 members willing to commit to buying one. I think we needed to produce and sell 80 to break even.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    A few years ago there was talk of getting a production run for new Attex poly bodies and I don't think we could even find 10 members willing to commit to buying one. I think we needed to produce and sell 80 to break even.
    what about Redoing the Hustler big foot tall tub 980 ?

it's easy to reverse engineer the drawings, correct the flaws but the poly body is still outrageously expensive.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

here is an example of a Roto mold machine cost

M-120 | Plastic Rotational Molding| KDCapital
    Last edited by azz7772; 03-24-2012 at 07:59 PM.

I always wanted to make a recycling machine to turn 2 liter bottles into AATV bodies. You could pay people 5 cents per bottle, and with ~250 of them you could mold a body.
    To me, that would be really cool!

Otherwise, designing a tranny that is better than the T-20 would be a pricey adventure.
    Someday a hydraulic drive on each wheel will be the answer.

Suspension is really required to capture a large market. A cost effective method of doing suspension would really get these things into the mainstream.

Interesting idea, the tranny would be the big problem I think RI owns the rights to the t20

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    Someday a hydraulic drive on each wheel will be the answer.
    That is the answer no t20 required.
    Pump motor and hyd. hose Joystick for fwd.rev. and steering.
    And why not a fiberglass mold for the body and tall tires with a jet drive.

+ Reply to Thread