16 hp tecumseh engine loosing power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 16 hp tecumseh engine loosing power

Quote Originally Posted by Hogneck View Post
    Where did you find a new Briggs 18hp for such a good price?
    Just keep an eye out online such as surplus places, Craigslist and Ebay. For example, I know that Princess Auto for you guys up in Canada has some crazy good deals on engines at times.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Freq42 is much more knowledgeable than I am about these engines. He had the 180 and did the Briggs upgrade too. the oh series is great if you sit still but is not designed well for being in a moving application.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Freq42 is much more knowledgeable than I am about these engines. He had the 180 and did the Briggs upgrade too. the oh series is great if you sit still but is not designed well for being in a moving application.
    Drew is absolutely right, the stand still, or slow moving applications with the throttle in a fixed position or not as much "up and down" motion of the throttle is certainly where these Tecumsehs shine. A garden tractor, welder, generator, or other applications such as these are a better place for these, compared to use in an AATV. Many AATVs had them as OEM equipment though.......the Super Swamp Fox, early Argos, Attexes, and early Max II and Max IVs all came with the Tecumseh OH series engines.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Try adjusting the low speed needle and see if it makes a difference.
    Close it 1/4 turn...if it trys to stall open it 1/2 turn.
    And make sure the air filter is clean.

If your fuel pump is ok, and fuel filter is good then it is either a plugged high speed jet or a bad crank seal not allowing enough pulse to operate the fuel pump properly.

Think I found the problem...Took the carb apart AGAIN and cleaned it up AGAIN....This time I took more time and found that one of the jets were block solid.....Cleaned it out and put it back on and now no problems....But I think I will keep my eye open for a new engine from Princess Auto when they go on sale again...

What size would you recommend for a 6x6 argo????

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    Think I found the problem...Took the carb apart AGAIN and cleaned it up AGAIN....This time I took more time and found that one of the jets were block solid.....Cleaned it out and put it back on and now no problems....But I think I will keep my eye open for a new engine from Princess Auto when they go on sale again...

What size would you recommend for a 6x6 argo????
    Anything 18HP or higher would be good.

One thing to remember gentlemen, if the driven clutch is not working properly, ie:shifting to soon, it would be like shifting from 1st to 3rd in your pickup going up hill. This puts more load on a relatively low hp engine and will bog. My 18 hp kohler ran hot and sluggish in my argo magnum till moos-a-boo(my brother) put a rock doctor tune up on my clutches. She runs like it has 20hp now, a huge difference and it steers better also which is what I was really trying to accomplish.

+ Reply to Thread