16 hp tecumseh engine loosing power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 16 hp tecumseh engine loosing power

16 hp tecumseh engine loosing power

Having trouble with my 16 hp tecumseh engine....It idles fine and I can give it full throttle with no problems in neutral....When I put it in a forward gear and start to run there is no problem...I can run about half throttle all day...The problem is when I open up all the way the engine will suffocate for fuel and shut off....There is no problem starting again and running at half.

I have drained all the old fuel and put in new.....changed all the fuel lines...cleaned the carb (may not be set up right...this is what I am thinking )....any help would be great....Thanks

How does the diaphram in your fuel pump look? I'm guessing it could be worn out. Did you put in a new fuel filter as well? Will it run well under load at full throttle when you put the choke on?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Diaphram looked fine....Did not change fuel filter...and have not tried running with choke open.....

OK, try both of those and let us know what happens and we'll take it from there.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I was having issues with my oh180 and finally ended up with it was the air cleaner so check that out too. Possibly the float is not adjusted right?

Is there a high speed needle adjustment you can open more?
    It needs to be set under load so open it 1/4 turn and drive it and see how it reacts.
    The choke closes when you pull it on and normally should be open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    Is there a high speed needle adjustment you can open more?
    It needs to be set under load so open it 1/4 turn and drive it and see how it reacts.
    The choke closes when you pull it on and normally should be open.
    Bazoo,

Just took the manual and it shows a high speed needle adjustment for the type of carb (walbro carb) that is on the machine. Went and took the carb off but there is no high speed needle adjustmednt on the carb. Do this make a difference. Can run at half speed no problem. When I open full throttle it will run for a few seconds and thedn shut off.

There are several model carbs for the oh160. You must have the fixed high speed set up which came on my shred when I got it. I had some of the problems that you described and was able to solve it in a most effective way. I simply bought a vanguard18 and parted out my techemseh to pay for it. Tractor guys pay big big bucks for their parts like $225 for a coil. I got the Briggs for $630 new shipped to my door. Best fix ever.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Some of the carbs on the Tecumsehs had Walboros with and without high speed adjustments. Talk to Amphibious Drew about this. He had a Tecumseh OH160 in his Attex Tomahawk before he swapped it out for a Briggs Vanguard and he knew quite about tinkering with it.

:EDIT: Drew just beat me to it. haha.

Where did you find a new Briggs 18hp for such a good price?
    Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    There are several model carbs for the oh160. You must have the fixed high speed set up which came on my shred when I got it. I had some of the problems that you described and was able to solve it in a most effective way. I simply bought a vanguard18 and parted out my techemseh to pay for it. Tractor guys pay big big bucks for their parts like $225 for a coil. I got the Briggs for $630 new shipped to my door. Best fix ever.

+ Reply to Thread