More Power From 18 HP Briggs Vangaurd

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Power From 18 HP Briggs Vangaurd

More Power From 18 HP Briggs Vangaurd

I know this has been done many times, but I'd like some pointers as to where to start. My 04' Max IV has all the power you need about 90 percent of the time. Every once in a while I get in some really thick goo and I don't have enough power to spin the big tires like I need to get out, or climbing that steep hill could used a little more punch.

I am thinking to start with the green spring mod. Where should I go from there?

Thanks

Hey Smith,

You'll be looking for a *red* spring from Recreatives, as the green spring is stock equipment. Some folks claim it makes a huge difference (it did on one of my machines) and others (even Jay at Rec) says it's not "that" different. Regardless, I like mine and would recommend it.

If you want to dive into the engine, the number one place that a lot of folks like to start at, is beefing up the stock valve train to safely gain more usable rpm from the stock engine. Check out E.C. Carburetors or give them a call and tell them what you're trying to do. Stronger push rods, stiffer valve springs and stronger retainers will ensure that you don't float a valve at higher rpm and make a steaming pile of molten goo out of your Vanny. Aside from that, you can easily slide in a new cam, get some billet rods and forged pistons, improve the carburetion, exhaust, yadda-yadda. I've seen a Max II with a budget-built 18 Vanguard able to launch itself into the stratosphere, while dependably developing in the high 30s, low 40s for horsepower. I'll throw the caveat in there that I don't even (technically) own a Vanguard, and I've not actually DONE any of these mods myself. I just seem to remember what folks around me are successfully trying out.

Call up Tom at Cartpartsplus.com they sell everything you'll need. On the cheap you can do a rev kit, a cam, and change the head gaskets for more compression. He can also sell you a red spring for your clutch.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the link. It looks like a one stop shop. Any idea what the cam, rev kit, and thinner gaskets will do for the performance? I do have access to CNC lathes and mills if needed. Can I still run regular pump gas with these mods? The price doesn't seem too bad if the power gains are sugnificant.

The 18 and 20 hp vanny's share the same block... only difference is the carb and intake. Swap them out and gain an instant 2 HP. Also, remove your exhaust manifold and you should find a little steel sleeve in each exhaust port. Rip them out with a pair of needle nose pliers. They restrict exhaust flow. Also building a 2 into 1 header with a better flowing muffler will make a huge difference in how the engine breaths. The vanny's seem to like about 17 inches on each tube before they come together at a collector and go into the muffler
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread