Adiar Tracks, all others need not apply

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Adiar Tracks, all others need not apply

Quote Originally Posted by Castro View Post
    How much for a set for an Argo Bigfoot, I have tires (the ones I run in my standard tracks should be fine right?
    They are not cheap. Adair Argo Tracks But my biggest fear was the lifespan being short.
    From what I'm hearing they far outlast the tires inside them.

How much for a set for an Argo Bigfoot, I have tires (the ones I run in my standard tracks should be fine right?
    I think there are different tire wheel options for different year and model Argos. Tim seems to have a pretty good handle and what works best with his tracks and what the pricing is. I know the tires they used on my 05 Bigfoot are the same tires used on a JD Gator. They are bigger than the Vanguard's but smaller than the HDI's. Maybe Tim will chime in here and give a breakdown of combinations that can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    They are not cheap. Adair Argo Tracks But my biggest fear was the lifespan being short.
    Hey Jim, well I guess I have to come clean and confess my tracks are not new but about a year old from what I understand. It seems Tim's tracks at Adair are sort of evolving and there are a couple generations out there now. My set was traded back into Adair for a new set of the latest greatest. Since my needs were for recreation I figured a rebuilt set of tracks would be great and save me a couple bucks. This brings up another point. Adair tracks are rebuildable. All the components can be serviced. Mike at Adair rebuilt my tracks in about an hour. They replaced the chain and added three grousers to each track. the difference between the new and year old grousers was barely noticeable. Just rounding on the edges. And when compared to a set one weekend old I really could not see a difference worth spending more money on.

Also if you take a closer look at this picture you will discover another interesting thing about the Adair tracks.

You are looking at three generations of machines in this picture. 2011 HDI, 05 Bigfoot, and late 90s Vanguard I believe. All fitted with Adair tracks. Doug's HDI has 18.5 track, I have older 14" tracks and the Vanguard has new 14" tracks. What you are seeing in this photo is the fact that you can take just about any machine and basically add Adair tracks to it and take its performance to an entirely new level. New OR old. The Vanguard was also featured in the Mud National videos posted on that thread. A 15 year old machine with over 700 hours is now basically unstoppable. I think this, with the fact that the track can be serviced make it a real bargain. I do not think you can say that about any other set of plastic or rubber tracks out there.

Keith.
    Last edited by kghills; 04-09-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Adair tracks are made out of UHMW material which is very similar in hardness to house hold cutting boards. It's some very hard and durable material. I expect these tracks to last a very long time.

Each type tire has a different profile, and width. The grousers need to closely match this, and Tim came real close with this grouser he sent me to try. Too bad there's not a "one size fits all" track, because my bigfoot is a one of a kind, I think it's going to take a little more R&D time.
    Attached Images

Each type tire has a different profile, and width. The grousers need to closely match this, and Tim came real close with this grouser he sent me to try. Too bad there's not a "one size fits all" track, because my bigfoot is a one of a kind, I think it's going to take a little more R&D time.
    Wow Jim great shot of the grouser profile on your tire. I think the one size fits all will sort of work for you. I was able to see the rebuilding process when I was at Adair. They start with an extra long length of chain and just add grousers and support links to get the length they need. With your Max II Bigfoot I bet you would use about the same length as my Argo Bigfoot or a grouser less.

Tim and Mike actually fit the used tracks to my machine while I was there. First they measured all the tire diameters at a given pressure. The two largest tires are used for the rear on an Argo 6x6. You then try to match diameter tires side to side with the smallest tires being in the front. The front and rear tires are then deflated and the tracks are fit to see how many grousers need to be used and if you use a full or half link to connect them. You then inflate the tires to get the correct track tension. Your final step is to drive the machine a little and see how it tracks. I had to add a couple pounds of air to the tires on the right side of my machine to get it to track straight but that is sort of the nature of the beast when using tracks.

Keith.
    Last edited by kghills; 04-12-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Corrected tire sizing

Hi Castro...the argo bigfoot is more expensive because it comes with 6 new tires and wheels...if you already have a set of smaller tires, then it would be the same cost as just buying a set for a vanguard or vanguard II that came factory with the smaller 22" track able size tires

Take care :-)

Thebuggyman1

Your custom Max II bigfoot is going to look awesome when you get those Adair tracks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Thebuggyman1

Your custom Max II bigfoot is going to look awesome when you get those Adair tracks on it.
    Thanks, I sure hope it does....and works even better.

That's exactly what I needed to know. I have standard tracks with the smaller Carisle tires so if I don't need more tires (have 3 sets) that would be great.

thebuggyman1

I'd love to see some video's of your Max II Bigfoot with Adair tracks running through the mud holes at the Busco beach event this year.

+ Reply to Thread