Help my Mudd-Ox sunk!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Help my Mudd-Ox sunk!

Help my Mudd-Ox sunk!

I need some help fast. After waiting over year for a mudd-ox after it was recommended by some folks on this site, my mudd-ox was finally delivered today. I bought two for a project that i am managing in Jamaica. One came with an aluminium cab and a 9.9 outboard but both was shipped sans the tracks, and the second was shipped without any of the accessories I had ordered. I wanted to test before taking it on a crocodile infested river. So i drove it on a beach in front of a house that I am renting. As it hit the water it just started taking on water, sunk and flipped sideways. I tried using the bilge pump but that eventually died. We used the second mudd-ox to drag it out of the water, but eventually the winch on the second ox died. The tires are locked and if they can run free we would be able to tow the thing home. Any suggestions? Can i remove the chains? or even slacken them? Pictures and more to come. I am very upset because matt had mentioned that it was unstable in water when he tested it and he attributed the lengthy delay to the fact that he was putting on a wider body so that it could float better. I am sure that he didn't do that and i am just glad they didn't come with the tracks and sank in the croc infested river. I have given up calling matt, he only seems to respond to text messages. But my phone died. I need some help pronto and to figure out a way forward (how to get the ox going again). But i am going to eventually throw away the aluminium top.
    Any help or suggestions are welcomed!

Kurt

i believe mud ox is driven by a single hydrolic motor so if you remove the chain from that point all the wheels should spin free togeather
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

You can tow it forward with the levers pushed forward, I did it with mine last spring. you won't beat any land speed records but you can get it mobile. steering will be a bit of a chore so straight ahead, at least you can pull it up onto a trailer where you can take it to work on.

Thanks for the advice. I tried pushing the levers forward, but it didn't work. The tires aren't turning. I found the link on the other chain attached to the motor. I'll have to take off the chain and hope that the tires spin.

hi there it will have two hydraulic pumps in tandem and they should have a valve on the top of each one that you can use a small crescent wrench to give them a quarter turn that will put the hydraulic system into free flow so you can tow it. If it does just have one pump then there will be just one valve

Hellow kmac I work with a lot of hydrow powered equipment . not up on your units setup but if the hydralic motors are easly accessible just make up a loop hyd line that u hook up between the 2 lines at your hyd motor cap the lines coming from your pumps. your motors will get the lube theyneed and the motors will turn freely. do not require or should you run your motor .to steer the unit use a tow strap wraped around both front axles and back to your tow unit.I wouldnot tow the the unit athigh speeds withoutchecking the motor temps often but my brother and i towed my bobcat 6 miles out of our huntng area when the drive coupler failed. hope this helps Bob

I used to own a Mudd-Ox with Adair tracks on it and it would take on water over the sides very quickly when driving down a bank and into the water. Because of this you really need to choose your entry in the water very carefully. A Mudd-Ox is also heavy in the front with the driver, so it does'nt climb out of the water and up a bank as easily as a much lighter Argo 8x8 will. I would not recommend driving a Mudd-Ox into a crocodile infested river!!
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-27-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    I used to own a Mudd-Ox and it will take on water over the sides very quickly when driving down a bank and into the water. Because of this you need to really choose you water entry carefully. A Mudd-Ox is also heavy in the front with the driver so it does not climb out the water up a bank very easy either like a lighter Argo 8x8 will. I would not recommend driving a Mudd-Ox into a crocodile infested river!!

do you know how to put the hydraulics into neutral for towing? Mudbug3

azz7772

I did'nt know much about my Mudd-Ox when I owned it, and I could'nt find any dealer in the US that I could call for indepth questions pertaining to it. Matt is VERY HARD to contact on the phone, emails, or cell phone. If I needed to ask an electrical or hydrolic question I would then have to call the Mudd-Ox dealer in alaska who knew about these subjects.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Is there not a pressure relief valve on the pump?
    you can back it off and allow the motors to freewheel.
    Usually cast into the pump head...
    looks like a cylinder with a hex head threaded into it.

+ Reply to Thread