Picked up a 1970 Cushman Trackster

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picked up a 1970 Cushman Trackster

Picked up a 1970 Cushman Trackster

Picked this up for a good price last week:

Typical dead right-hand piston and cylinder:

I'm looking into rebuilding the stock engine. Even though it's a 1970 model, this one got the updated 29HP engine at some point. Overall the Trackster is in decent shape. I will need to do a little fiberglass work where someone rode up on a stump or something on the bottom.

I noticed that the cylinders don't have much shrouding around them unlike most 2 strokes I've seen that live in enclosed spaces. I was wondering if adding some shrouding to keep the cooling air flow moving around the cylinders for a longer distance would make any difference.

If I have to change the engine out to something else, I'll probably look into another (newer) air cooled 2 stroke setup so I don't have to mess with the ring and pinion in the transmission (to keep the speed up) as well as not have to worry about oiling problems with a 4 stroke on really steep ground.

That's a very nice find. Doesn't look it will take much to get in into operaton. I was on the McClaren website for over the tire tracks for skid loaders, and noted that they still advertise trackster tracks on their website. You should converse with forum member Brushcutter who is also restoring a Trackster.

Great looking Trackster, looks like it has a new set of the Chemoplast tracks. Here is my thoughts on the engine. Unless you are wanting to keep it all original, I would not rebuild the original engine. They were noisey, low on torque, smoked, just a bad idea from the start. Convert it to a 4 stroke, it will be a much better machine. You don't have to change the ring and pinion, you are only going to loose 2-3 mph by staying with the stock gearing. The OMC engines were goverened at 5600 RPM, a modern 4 stroke is governed at 3600. The 4 stroke has much more torque, you can drive around at half throttle and have plenty of power. The OMC engine was only making power if you were running it against the governor. I see your Trackster has the optional 9 tooth drive sprocket, vs the standard 7 tooth, so you'll have plenty of speed even with the 4 stroke. Tracksters weren't speed machines anyway, what they did well was go anywhere. You can buy one of the Honda 24 HP engine kits, but I personally don't like that kit because of the way the engine is mounted on an angle, and the way it is coupled to the transmission using the stock stainless steel flex plates. I installed an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard in one of my Tracksters,( plenty of power, BTW), I mounted the engine level, and made a driveshaft out of parts I bought at Tractor Supply. I've been running this Trackster for 4 years now, with no issues. But whatever you decide, get her running, you'll like it, very usefull machines...

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

I shot this vid right after I got it running with the Vanguard, I'm only at just over half throttle .

Coop
    Last edited by Coop; 05-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Is it wrong that this machine makes me sport a little wood? That thing is like a chesapeke bay retriever, so ugly they're awesome! Nice find... I for one am jealous!

I agree with Coop, a modern 4 cycle would make this machine so desirable. I do enjoy a powerful 2 stroke in an Attex sized machine, but in a machine designed to go slow, a 4 cycle engine would be more enjoyable. Coops 18 Briggs looks more than adequate.

yes a four stroke would be much better, I still have the omc twin two stroke in mine and it's just to loud to really enjoy riding. the omc engine also had some ignition box isues and starter drive problems.

ttyr2....Here is another pic of a Vanguard install in a Trackster using 1 u-joint, not 2 like mine. This is a friends of mine, he did it this way so he could move his engine forward as far as he could so everything would fit inside the cover. He did have to modify his control rods though, to clear his air filter. Just food for thought...
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread