What's so special about the MAX T20 steering transmission? MAX FAQ #2

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so special about the MAX T20 steering transmission? MAX FAQ #2

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!

What's so special about the MAX T20 steering transmission? MAX FAQ #2

I received this email from Recreatives Industries Inc. recently, and found it very good info.
    It actually changed my mind on a few things.
    later...ed

================================================== =======

MAX Amphibious ATVs Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) #2
    Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511

What's so special about the MAX T20 steering transmission?

A huge difference between MAX ATVs and any other brand of off-road vehicle is that MAX ATVs are extremely mobile and maneuverable due to their skid-steering and full-time six-wheel drive. At the heart of all MAX ATVs is the T-20 Skid-Steer Transmission, designed by Borg-Warner specifically for six-wheel ATVs.

The importance of full-time, non-differential drive in off-road situations cannot be overstated. Since MAX ATVs use the T-20 skid-steer unit, which is a dual planetary-gear steering transmission rather than an open differential, key benefits include:

1) Full-time drive to all wheels regardless of the available traction on each wheel. All wheels drive whether any or all of them are on mud, snow, or ice. With differential steering, the power flows to the wheels that want to slip. With a MAX ATV, the power always flows to the wheels that get traction, whether it is one, two, three, four, five, or all six wheels! You are much more likely to keep moving through challenging terrain on a MAX ATV.

2) No uncontrolled transfer of power from the right to left-hand wheels resulting in "self-steering" of the vehicle. In other words, you could be automatically steered into a ditch or somewhere you did not intend to go with differential steering!

3) No torque loss when steering. Differential steering results in a 50% torque loss when steering, requiring a low gear range to compensate on high traction surfaces. Let’s say you are driving at 10mph in a differential-steered vehicle, and you want to make a sharp right-hand turn. When you steer, the speed to the left-hand drive wheels suddenly goes up to 20mph, and the laws of physics says that if you double your speed, you cut your torque in half. On the other hand, MAX ATVs apply 100% of available torque to the wheels whether you are steering or going straight, and there is no need for a high/low range or the inconvenience of having to shift into low range on high traction surfaces.

4) Low shock loading of the drive train. Since differential steering doubles the speed to the drive train whenever steering is occurring (as explained above), the result is not only jerky turns, but extra shock and stress to the chains, sprockets, axles, etc. Make any kind of turn on any surface with a MAX ATV however, and your drive wheels go the same speed during the turn as they were when going straight. The result is smooth turns under full power and torque, with no excessive stress to the drivetrain.

The T-20 Skid-Steer transmission is exclusive to MAX ATVs, and provides them with unparalleled traction, mobility, and maneuverability. When you drive a MAX ATV, you will experience the difference that non-differential drive can make!

Again, you qualify to buy factory-direct, at considerable savings, based on your location. Click here to download a factory-direct sale flyer with special prices, specifications, and lots of photos which you can zoom-in on. Your browser will open it, but you can save it to your computer then open it; that will work best!

Or, you can go to our Build-A-Max™ ATV Builder, pick your vehicle and accessories, and submit your quote request. We will respond via email with your factory-direct deal on that vehicle. If you prefer, you can simply call us at 1-800-255-2511 extension 2 for a quote.

Take another look at our vehicle lineup on MAXATVs.com and don't forget that you can Take a Guided Tour of each MAX model, inside and out, and check out every MAX accessory. Also view our MAX Video Library where you can marvel at what the MAX can do!

Thank you for your interest in MAX ATVs.

Recreatives Industries Inc.
    Producing MAX ATVs since 1969
    Buffalo, New York
    1-800-255-2511 extension 2
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

T-20, the BEST AATV transmission ever made. End of story.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The t-20 just plain works. I find that when climbing a steep hill at steady throttle pressure a slight steering correction actually causes the engine to gain rpm's. The differential transmissions require more throttle pressure to maintain speed in turns.

I'm not a big fan,I would rather not have to push and hold the laterals to move in a straight line.I also know the newer ones are spring loaded forward,but under power situations you must exert pressure forward or you get the engine reving without the wheelspin.

The T20 is a great transmission. Simple, rugged, compact, handles a variety of loads, big machines/small machines, just a superb transmission. The only thing that comes close is the Admiral that Argo uses, the Admiral also has a high and a low range. The best thing about the T20 is that the output gearing can be changed to a lower of higher ratio without alot of cost. I have a 13 tooth output sprocket on a Max 2 and that thing is just stout. I could only imagine what dropping down to a 12 or 11 tooth gear would do.

To be answered by a guy that has never run one shortly,I have always had the differential style transmission and looking forward to see what the hub bub is all about.NCT

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    To be answered by a guy that has never run one shortly,I have always had the differential style transmission and looking forward to see what the hub bub is all about.NCT
    It's going to be a BIG difference and I think you'll fall in love with it. It doesn't rob power, lose traction, and wherever you point the machine, it'll go there will all 6 wheels driving when your levers are pushed forward. Actual 6 wheel drive!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    The T20 is a great transmission. Simple, rugged, compact, handles a variety of loads, big machines/small machines, just a superb transmission. The only thing that comes close is the Admiral that Argo uses, the Admiral also has a high and a low range. The best thing about the T20 is that the output gearing can be changed to a lower of higher ratio without alot of cost. I have a 13 tooth output sprocket on a Max 2 and that thing is just stout. I could only imagine what dropping down to a 12 or 11 tooth gear would do.
    I think the bakerhill is a close second. It has its weakness like only 40 chain but it is basically just an inside out t-20. I have never drove an admiral or no much about them. H/L range would be cool. But the bakerhill is up there too. In my eyes anyways.

Some day I will get to try the Hagen transmission in my trailblazer. I was told it is extremely robust and used back in the day for racing. The counter rotating would be sweet too. I just hope there is nothing wrong with it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    It's going to be a BIG difference and I think you'll fall in love with it. It doesn't rob power, lose traction, and wherever you point the machine, it'll go there will all 6 wheels driving when your levers are pushed forward. Actual 6 wheel drive!
    Well actually that statement that I made is not 100% accurate,the others that I had back in the seventy,s and late sixtys had various styles like the amphi cat the one we had had a twin set of dry clutches that worked similar to the T 20,but that said I have not experienced anything close to the T 20,s operation in a very long time and look forward to testing it in the conditions I have run in for 3 plus decades.NCT

We just bought a 2012 650HD w/ the Admiral trans. I've always had Max vehicles in the past and on a steep bank @ low speeds I won't use anything but a t20, the earlier argo trans is scary unless traction is equal and no steering input is applied, I almost flipped one over this weekend(2001 Bigfoot), the bank was slightly lower on one side. The max will come up the same bank standing on the back tires at a crawl or full on. The new argo was picked for ease of use for the whole family.

+ Reply to Thread