Adair Tracks Testing Grounds

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adair Tracks Testing Grounds

Adair Tracks Testing Grounds

Yes, I have seen it, and actually been in it, and here are a few pictures.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    On the Western side of Iowa, just off I80. To the unknowing eye there are corn fields and wind turbines, and more corn fields. Who would think to look 15 feet down. Yes, 15 maybe twenty feet down in some places.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have Adair tracks. Bought them from Tim at Adair Argo. Even went there personally to have them fitted to my machine. Heard the glowing reports from customers. Saw the videos from across the country, heck all over the world. Nasty inaccessible terrain. A machine with these tracks takes it all with ease. But developed in Iowa by some guy named Tim? Made no sense. Some guy in the middle of a cornfield develops tracks for amphibious vehicles? Why, because his Gator got stuck a few times in the early spring?
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    This Memorial day weekend, we were passing by Adair so I gave Tim a call to see if it was possible to stop by and look at an 8x8. He asked if we had time for a trail ride. He offered to load up a few machines and take us to the creeks on his family farm that he developed the tracks for. How could Jason and I pass up a chance to experience the Adair tracks test site.

What I did not realize was that when it rains, the water has to go somewhere. No it does not all soak into the ground like I imagined. I runs into a series of creeks. Creeks that seem to crisscross and zigzag through most of those cornfields. Most just out of eyesight. Not rocky bottom rivers or creeks like I am used to but deep trenches with silty mucky bottoms with an occasional rock, chunk of concrete or old steel fence post.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I got to drive a Max II with 20 inch tires and prototype tracks with a steel link connector and offset wider spaced grousers. Jason rode with Tim in a Max IV with 16.5 wide Adair tracks. We traveled along a couple miles of creek bed, 15 feet down and totally undetected by anyone. We traveled with ease as the Adair tracks along the silty creek bottom like it was a trip across a grassy field. Only when I looked down on the edge of the flowing water to see the occasional deer track sunk 4 inches deep did I realize how soft the bottom was. I was told the creek also swells to the top in heavy rains washing away all the soil from under even the biggest trees. It was cool how you could look under the root system. Heavy rains had washed away the beaver dams 3-4 weeks ago. I would love to make it back to see a beaver dam made out of corn stalks.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The smile on the face is from the happy 6x6 driver (me). This is what happens when you don't get stuck. The new track layout climbed this rock ledge with ease. Tim claims my AquaTorques will make it maybe 10 feet before they would bury themselves in the soft bottom. He offered to help winch me out if I wanted to try sometime. I think when I return I will make sure I have tracks on.

Keith.

Keith

With the right engine and proper gearing set up for the right application, the Adair tracks turn a Max II into one awesome mud machine. I'm talking 13 tooth output shaft sprockets , red spring and a 23 briggs hp motor So much fun to drive !
    Last edited by mudbug3; 05-29-2012 at 07:09 PM.

I think the Max II I was driving was basically stock. It felt very familiar to me as I just recently sold the Max II I bought new in 1995 and had maybe 400 plus hours on. Originally I just was going to track my Max II but purchased the Bigfoot to accommodate more people. This thing was incredible and really surprised me with what it went through. The 20 inch tires and new Adair tracks were perfect. It even had great road speed when we ran back to the Farm on the road (that was way cool also). The faster I went the smoother it road. Now I just need to figure out how to sweet talk Tim into making a set for my Max IV. Maybe if I promise to try and wear them out.

Keith.

wow…lol

you have a real talent for story writing…I’m impressed to say the least and also very flattered that you would take that much time out of your busy schedule to post such an excellent account of our adventure

that really was a blast and I hope that Jason had a good time that he will remember for a long time….so cool to be of that age and have toys like this to play with…much different than when most of were growing up…I remember how happy I was just to have my small green minibike to ride in the back yard..lol

you must be pretty good luck because just two days after you stopped by another friend from Wisconsin (Doug from Fox Valley Taxidermy) came down to hang out for a couple of days and see what was new in the shop…It took a little arm twisting but I finally talked him, and my buddy John (my friend here from work) into going right back out for another ride down that creek…instead of turning right and going back up the other tributary we just keep going for a couple of miles until it got really dark, then we climbed up out of the creek bank and made our way home in the dark…tons of fun…happy to have more friends to ride with cause I have pretty much worn out all of my local buddies with creek rides…although in all fairness, these days we don’t really spend very much time getting stuck or muddy so maybe I should try to talk a few of them into giving it another try 

i got a couple of pictures of Doug and John last night before it got so dark, so ill try to share them when I get time.

thanks again for stopping by for the visit and im already looking forward to our next ride....

tim

Hey Dave you trying to give me a hint that my max needs a set of tims tracks....

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    Hey Dave you trying to give me a hint that my max needs a set of tims tracks....

Hmmm. What gave you this idea! Sounds like you have an Adair track itch that needs to be scratched.

Those are some good pics, Looks like a good place to ride.

RD

[ATTACH]photo (1).jpg[/ATTACH]photo.jpgAttachment 8746

Thanks again Tim for the great time,can't wait to get back in the ditch,clean out our road block, and make it into town. Great friends, wonderful scenery,and a cool ride down a huge ditch...... Life is good.
    Attached Images

Great pictures Doug. Luke got his Max II licensed as a boat today with the WI DNR. Time to find some creeks around here, I guess I will need to do the same.

Keith.

That looks like a load of fun!

+ Reply to Thread