Attex 400 project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex 400 project

Attex 400 project

This is my first project. I remember as a kid seeing the ads for these and wanting one and 30 years later here we go. I spotted an attex 400 on craigs list in PA drove a few hours and bit the bullet. Its a beater but it runs and the trans seems good. The body is cracked pretty bad and it needs total go over. I am in the process of a total disassembly and redo. So far I've pulled the engine and all the hubs and will be putting in a 4 stroke. I'm melting up some abs in acetone and going to try some body repairs. I ran it around the yard last weekend; tore up the lawn, left black tread swirles all over the driveway, and aggravated my wife, man did i have a blast. Im in the dog house now but here with me is my attex up on benches keeping me company.
    Last edited by jarrodcx; 06-20-2012 at 09:34 PM.

That's cool man,Glad to hear you got one.Look at it this way,The longer you stay in the dog house the more you will get done.lol.

I do agree, I've got a lot of stuff done while the other half was mad at me!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Congrats! Good luck with the rebuild. It will be worth it at the end.

400 chief project : Body repair ABS

I started up a batch of ABS yesterday let it sit in acetone all night . Late today I began the repairs. I was pleased with the outcome and it was not that difficult. First i cleaned the body areas with acetone, then I prefilled the cracks first using a 1.5" knife and applied fiberglass mesh. As the first layer started to surface dry I applied another layer mesh then coated again. I did this one more time inside and out. Every thing is getting solid. The bond seems good and ill be sanding soon.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-22-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

Looks pretty good and strong. Glad to see someone doing another quality repair job. Keep us updated on the progress. All of your hard work will be worth it in the end.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodcx View Post
    This is my first project. I remember as a kid seeing the ads for these and wanting one and 30 years later here we go. I spotted an attex 400 on craigs list in PA drove a few hours and bit the bullet. Its a beater but it runs and the trans seems good. The body is cracked pretty bad and it needs total go over. I am in the process of a total disassembly and redo. So far I've pulled the engine and all the hubs and will be putting in a 4 stroke. I'm melting up some abs in acetone and going to try some body repairs. I ran it around the yard last weekend; tore up the lawn, left black tread swirles all over the driveway, and aggravated my wife, man did i have a blast. Im in the dog house now but here with me is my attex up on benches keeping me company.
    Superficial looks wise the 400 chief was always my favorite attex. I am biased because I owned one from 1975 to 1981. Why get rid of the two stroke? I guess reliability and trails are certianly better with a 4 stroke. I just liked the screamer runs in my chief. Good luck with the rebuild. By the looks of the cracks it might just be my old machine.
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

+ Reply to Thread