Attex drive chain route

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex drive chain route

Attex drive chain route

Ok.....just got my first 6x6...Attex ST300/D...got the engine running last on the bench its a Honda GX620......I'm going to replace the drive chains so what I need is a diagram of how the drive chains run , right now left and right side are run differently which doesnt seem right to me.....of course I'm new to the 6x6 arena so I'm sure to have more simple questions like this....thanks in advance to the 6x6 gurus

Congrats on getting your first 6x6...and it's a first generation too! I have a couple of ST/300/D projects that I have, one of which I am working on 'restoring.' Later tonight or tomorrow I will hop on my other computer that has all of my build pictures on it and I will upload you what I have of how the chains go and draw up a diagram too. They should be run the same on each side. Im not sure how someone could run them differently on each side? Do you think you could upload a picture or two on here?

I am by no means a '6x6 guru' but I am sure some of the other, more knowledgeable, guys will chime in too and help you out.
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

I'm no guru either, but I've had a couple of the Baker/Hill transmssions. There are two sprockets on each side of the transmission shaft: one has a chain routed to the rear axle sprocket and the other's is to the center axle sprocket. If my memory serves correctly, the outside trans sprocket is the rear drive. There is a chain that runs from the other sprocket on the center axle to the front axle on each side.

Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don is correct. The outside sprocket goes to rear and the inside goes to center. Then center goes to the front on the smaller sprockets. And I have seen the center/front chain tensioner sprocket on top and on bottom but the correct way is have the tensioner sprocket on the top pushing down. If its the other way it can rub the floor pan and put holes in it. The center axle/bh chain is adjusted by the transmission frame moving forward/backward and there is the other tensioner for the rear axle/bh.

Im really curious how they got the chain routed 2 different ways. could you take a picture or explain more. I dont see how it could and work good any other way.

I already started pulling off the chains....the left side was over the small gears and the right side was under them .....the small sprockets that are like tensioners although there doesnt seem to be an adjustment to them...I think they put them that way to make up the slack....some chain was real old , some was kinda old , LOL....so I'm just gonna get all new chain to make sure everything is the same length from side to side

It looks like those guys summed it up pretty good for you. Here is a picture of the chains on my 300/D too, if it helps. The only things you can't see are the front/rear drive sprockets and the front tensioner.

DSCN0813.jpg
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

which sprockets go where?

I have a bunch of sprockets in a bucket. I know the double sprockets go by the trans. ST/300/D with a Baker Hill Trans. I have a large and small sprocket. Which one goes in the front by my feet? Small or big sprocket?

Figured it out never mind!
    Last edited by kushwa; 01-20-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: found the answer

+ Reply to Thread