1979 factory tracked Superchief

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 factory tracked Superchief

Nice ride.A set of adair tracks would be sweet.

The tracks are cool, But try it out without first. Put a set of chevrons on it and go for a sport run. I don't think you will go back, once you start drifting out in the turns and high speed sporting thru the woods. You will see what this 2-stroking nimble machine is all about. And just why they don't make 6 wheelers in a two stroke, anymore. You will come back from your ride grinning as you put the tracks into deep storage.
    Save the tracks for a 4-stroke "mud tank" machine. Around here the balder the tires the better for power sliding. If you run this machine like it was supposed to be run, it will eat the tracks in no time. Its like a corvette not a jeep.. And a super chief does not like to be babied. It will load up and foul plugs.. This machine looks awesome!!! Nice find!! Have fun and try to keep the rubber side down..!! The tracks are cool for the deep snow, But your still better off with a 4-stroking machine driving them.
    BG

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gerber View Post
    The tracks are cool, But try it out without first. Put a set of chevrons on it and go for a sport run. I don't think you will go back, once you start drifting out in the turns and high speed sporting thru the woods. You will see what this 2-stroking nimble machine is all about. And just why they don't make 6 wheelers in a two stroke, anymore. You will come back from your ride grinning as you put the tracks into deep storage.
    Save the tracks for a 4-stroke "mud tank" machine. Around here the balder the tires the better for power sliding. If you run this machine like it was supposed to be run, it will eat the tracks in no time. Its like a corvette not a jeep.. And a super chief does not like to be babied. It will load up and foul plugs.. This machine looks awesome!!! Nice find!! Have fun and try to keep the rubber side down..!! The tracks are cool for the deep snow, But your still better off with a 4-stroking machine driving them.
    BG
    I couldn't agree more!!!
    Attex, there is no substitute

BG
    Thanks Bill but I am not that good a driver to try and powerslide anything anymore. I was sort of planning on gearing it down as much as possible so it will wind out but not really go anywhere. A set of modern tracks should hold 50-60HP in something this light I would think. For me, mud, water and terrain that requires 6 wheel drive is what all these machines are about. Sort of want to keep this one on tracks. Two stroke, we still giggle every time we start it.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

The Superchief should still serve you well for your needs.
    The track tires are smaller and do lower the gearing down a bit.
    If you need to go still lower. Keep your eye open for a set of Tomahawk (rear four) sprockets. they had two more teeth on them. I can't remember for sure exactly how many, I think the Superchief had 24's and the tomahawk had 26's. I could be off by two teeth. Count your teeth and you will know. I do remember there was a difference. Sorry i just don't remember all the details anymore, its been 34 years since i worked on the assembly line. The sprockets for the front chain's don't matter as long as they are all the same number of teeth. We did use different sizes on the fronts. machine is no slouch for power and should be fine the way it is. The tire diameter makes a big difference. I remember it had no problem plowing snow with tracks. The biggest problem that i remember was the throttle cable freezing thing. I used to keep a plastic bag over the right stick to keep rain and snow out. and having to disconnect the carb. put a 6" piece of fuel line over the end of the cable. Put a small hose clamp on it. Fill the fuel line with Rubbing alcohol to eat the water and then force it up the cable with compressed air, then do the same with any kind of thin oil. If you have problems getting it in gear when shifting, especially with tracks. keep the rear chains a little loose.!!!
    Enjoy your new toy. If for some reason, You want to get rid of it. Please let me kno. I would be happy to work out a deal to take custody.

We don't get much snow here so I took the 18x9.5x8 tires off my track option and installed 22x11x8 rides much better. I also welded gussets on the rear sproket tubes to keep them from snaping and installed 4140 steel axles and relocated my coils off the motor. A few weeks ago I had a wrath of God type wreck at high speed going down a steap hill my buddy and myself got tossed out and ran over by the superchief it tumbled side over side AND NOTHING BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill did you work at the plant in 1979?

The Superchief should still serve you well for your needs.
    The track tires are smaller and do lower the gearing down a bit.
    If you need to go still lower. Keep your eye open for a set of Tomahawk (rear four) sprockets. they had two more teeth on them. I can't remember for sure exactly how many, I think the Superchief had 24's and the tomahawk had 26's. I could be off by two teeth. Count your teeth and you will know. I do remember there was a difference. Sorry i just don't remember all the details anymore, its been 34 years since i worked on the assembly line. The sprockets for the front chain's don't matter as long as they are all the same number of teeth. We did use different sizes on the fronts. machine is no slouch for power and should be fine the way it is. The tire diameter makes a big difference. I remember it had no problem plowing snow with tracks. The biggest problem that i remember was the throttle cable freezing thing. I used to keep a plastic bag over the right stick to keep rain and snow out. and having to disconnect the carb. put a 6" piece of fuel line over the end of the cable. Put a small hose clamp on it. Fill the fuel line with Rubbing alcohol to eat the water and then force it up the cable with compressed air, then do the same with any kind of thin oil. If you have problems getting it in gear when shifting, especially with tracks. keep the rear chains a little loose.!!!
    Enjoy your new toy. If for some reason, You want to get rid of it. Please let me kno. I would be happy to work out a deal to take custody.
    Thank you for the gearing info Bill. I feel sort of honored someone with your history and knowledge took the time to comment on my machine. I felt really lucky to find it and be able to purchase it. I have been sourcing some parts to do a quality rehab with a couple vintage upgrades on the Attex although it really does not need much. If at some point in time it needs a new owner you will be the first person I contact.

Quote Originally Posted by L.D.Bruce View Post
    We don't get much snow here so I took the 18x9.5x8 tires off my track option and installed 22x11x8 rides much better. I also welded gussets on the rear sproket tubes to keep them from snaping and installed 4140 steel axles and relocated my coils off the motor. A few weeks ago I had a wrath of God type wreck at high speed going down a steap hill my buddy and myself got tossed out and ran over by the superchief it tumbled side over side AND NOTHING BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope you have healed up OK after your tumble L.D. One of these days I hope to make it down your way and liberate your tracks from the barn.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

they are still there

L D
    Yes, I did work for Attex in 1979. I am not sure if i was there all year or not tho.
    I worked there "on and off" the whole time that My Dad (Howard), Ray and Jack owned it. (During the super chief generation). Speaking of Dad, He just dropped off a coffee for me as i was typing this..
    BG
    Last edited by Bill Gerber; 08-19-2012 at 10:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread