Tallest tires I can run?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tallest tires I can run?

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    If a Max II with a 18 hp will run that fast , then I,m sure it will out run the 25 hp Kolier thats in my Max IV , with the factory roll cage .
    Mudbug, the top speed of the vehicle will depend on the engine and the tire size. A smaller 21" tire size with say a 14HP Briggs on a Max II wouldn't run as fast as my Max II with an 18HP Briggs (that has more torque to spin the tires at higher speed) and 22" tires. If your Max IV has 26" tires with a 25HP Kohler it would run faster than a Max IV with 22" tires. Taller tires gear your machine up quite a bit. You would be surprised how much your gear ratio changes even with tires that are only 1" larger or smaller. The best way to find out how fast your vehicle actually goes is to get a GPS.

If anyone wants to check out how different tires sizes affect gear ratios, take a look here:

DML Tire and Wheel Calculator

Anyways, back to the topic. I would say that I would certainly be happy with 22" tires like Rawhide III's. They fill the fenderwells up nicely, they look and perform well, and you won't risk the tires rubbing through the body.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Sorry to take us off topic again, but maybe under general ATV discussion Mike could put a sticky up for us and we could compile a list of the speed of all of the different AATVs out there depending on their tire size, engine, etc. Lets get our GPS units and see what our machines will do. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are curious about this so maybe we can give everyone an idea of what the actual speeds of our machines would be.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by SWAMP HAWG View Post
    My Attex is on the back burner right now , but I want to run the tallest tire possible also.
    A 25" tire would just barely fit, but if you run fast they could grow & hit the body.
    I was wanting to get a set of really wide 12" beadlock rims & 6 x 25" Outlaws & run them with 0-.5 psi

Even if you did have the clearance to be able to run the High Lifter , Outlaw tires , on your Attex , your chains and axles would take a tremendous about of stress each time you tried to skid steer . Now we are talking about buying chains and axle bearing more often , because of the extra strain put on these components . When you run larger side lug , atv tires , on a skid steer , you have to use more throttle to power the turns . Look closely at the large , side wall lugs , on the Outlaw tire , and now think how much resistance these tires will cause when you try to skid steer . The only amphibious machines that use these tires are the Hydro Traxx . This is because the Hydro Traxx is not a skid steer machine , but has the ability to turn each bank of tires the opposite rotation of the other side . Also , each wheel has its own wheel motor , thus no side loading of the axles or chains .
    Last edited by mudbug3; 03-09-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Mudbug has a very good point. These tires would put a lot more stress on the body compared to some softer tires like a Goodyear Runamuck or Rawhide III. Plus, you have to keep in mind that the Attex has 1" axles compared to most machines that run 1.25" axles.

I wanted to run outlaws on the attex after I saw they could swim on the hydrotraxx.
    I have them on my 4wheeler.
    I know the 22 rawhides III's fit, and ARE cheap. I just know that I want more mud performance than they provide.
    22" pure mud tires for an 8" rim just don't exist.

Hey Swamp Hog, you can get Super Swamper TSL ATV mud tires for an 8" rim.....they are 22-12.5-8. I hear they swim and they aren't very hard so you won't have a super hard ride. Hope this helps.

Super Swamper ATV Tires: MotoXMall

Quote Originally Posted by SWAMP HAWG View Post
    I wanted to run outlaws on the attex after I saw they could swim on the hydrotraxx.
    I have them on my 4wheeler.
    I know the 22 rawhides III's fit, and ARE cheap. I just know that I want more mud performance than they provide.
    22" pure mud tires for an 8" rim just don't exist.

Yes ,,you are correct . There is no market for pure mud tires in 8 inch . Shortly after I got my Max IV , I was all set to install six Outlaw tires on my Max IV . This was before I knew much about skid steer , amphibious machines , and I don,t know a whole lot know . Its a tight fit for the 26 inch Vampires , that Dan has on his Max IV , and running Outlaws would require much longer axles , to bring the Outlaw side lugs , away from the inner , lower tube . If you did this,,you would have a lot much flex , on the longer axle ends , because the Outlaw is a heavy tire . But , even if Dan could run these , or myself ,,the shape of the side lugs , on the Outlaw tire , would be an absolute killer on the chains and axles , each and every time you tried to skid steer . You may even break chains and axles .

Think how many tie rod ends and axles , that the Outlaw tires have broken on ATV,s , and they drive straight or turn with the handle bars , but , have no where near , the stress on components of a skid steer amphib .

I really had my heart set on these tires , since they shead mud so well , and would probably swim the fastest of any PURE mud tire . I talked to the sales rep at Hydro Traxx one time , and he told me that all of the people that treat lakes , request the Outlaw tires over the rawhides . So , for the people that don,t believe that the Outlaw tires swim , what does that tell you ?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 03-10-2008 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Hey Swamp Hog, you can get Super Swamper TSL ATV mud tires for an 8" rim.....they are 22-12.5-8. I hear they swim and they aren't very hard so you won't have a super hard ride. Hope this helps.

Super Swamper ATV Tires: MotoXMall
    Thanks,
    I think the tsl's would mud better than rawhide III's , but i thought I read that they don't swim. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Now interco does make the Vampire in a 22x12.5x9 I have read that the vampires will swim, but I don't know how well .
    But does anyone make a 9" rim that will hold a bead at super low psi like the "k rims"?

Check with Matt o.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread