27 inch AMs Swamp Fox Plus tires on a Max Iv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 27 inch AMs Swamp Fox Plus tires on a Max Iv

27 inch AMs Swamp Fox Plus tires on a Max Iv

It really does depend on what you are looking for in a tire. The 26" GoodYear Rawhide tires that came on my Max IV did not have a tread pattern that was aggressive enough for me. I live in the swamps around Savannah Georgia and I needed a tire that would get me through the soft bottomless gumbo mud and water that pervades the swamp in this area. After checking mud tires and reading reviews I finally settled on set of 27 inch 12X12 AMS Swamp Fox Plus tires. I chose these tires because the advertised height of 27 inches is very close to the actual height. To get the increased in ground clearance I needed to have the tires clear the fender wells and between the tires, so the size had to be exact! The tire height can be varied a little bit with these tires buy slight changes in the air pressure. I also installed a heavy duty red spring clutch to handle the larger tires. The standard green spring clutch is great for most conditions but is biased a little more toward speed, acceleration and general purpose riding, while the red spring clutch which is made to provide more torque and low end power in all off road situations. The red spring clutch will allow you to lug the machine through mud and water while the green spring clutch requires a little more speed and a little more throttle to get you through the same situation. The red spring clutch does make the ATV a little more tank like but that is what the off road conditions around here call for. Once installed the AMS Swamp Fox Plus tires made an incredible difference in this machines off road capability. Now I can go though mud and swampy mud with large logs without concern. Areas that would that would have had the Max bottoming out or stuck in soft mud now present no problems. The AMS tires Do not swim as well as the Goodyears but then I wasn't happy with the Goodyears water performance either! The extra bite from the ams tires gave me the confidence I needed to swim around the swamp and mud of this area between Cypress trees, logs and every other obsticle I have encountered. The AMS tires are also good on trail rides where I am able to stay right with my son on my 500 cc Suzuki Vincent.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 07-25-2007 at 05:15 PM.

great video

are the swamp fox plus the same as the swamp fox just bigger?any one know?
    I need new tires for my max2 but they need to work in gumbo mud and swamp.
    I wonder if the swamp fox (22-11-8) would do the same in mud & water?ANY ONE KNOW?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by wildtexasranger View Post
    I wonder if the swamp fox (22-11-8) would do the same in mud & water?ANY ONE KNOW?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

If you take a look at different tread patterns of tires, you can get an idea of what the performance in the water will be like by looking for a somewhat "closed" lug pattern. Goodyear Rawhides have a nice closed lug pattern which propels well in water. Knobby old school atv tires do not have a closed lug patten and thus they do not work well, or at all in water. Hope this helps and good luck with the tire search.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by wildtexasranger View Post
    The Swamp Fox plus tires have 1.2 inch lugs the Swamp fox tires have much smaller lugs. The Swamp fox Plus tires only come in sizes above 26 inches. I would not recommend the plain swamp fox for mud. Everyone told me that the swamp fox plus tires wouldn't swim that great but they they do the job and move me better through the mud than anything short of an all out mud tire like the outlaw. For me it is a great compromise because as you can see from my videos my Max can now take me anywhere I want to go even though the water speeds my be a little slower than the Goodyear Rawhides, still I'll being plowing through that mud and water that I used to get stuck in! Hope this helps you. I would take a long look at the 24" tires that come on the argo frontier. They will fit on your Max II and give you reasonably good mud performance and do wonders for your water speed.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 07-27-2007 at 06:28 PM.

tire cost

Where is the best place to buy the 12x12, Swamp Fox Plus tires, for cost and shipping?

Prices for Swamp fox Tires

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Where is the best place to buy the 12x12, Swamp Fox Plus tires, for cost and shipping?
    I shopped around on the internet. Several of the posted prices were obsolete and the prices had gone up. I finally went to a local shop and had them delivered to his shop. They had to be shipped out of Wisconsin. I dickered with him on the price and ended up paying about $100.00 per tire. A little more than some other brands but over all I am very happy with the tires. If you want to experiment you might order two 28x12x12 and run them at 3 1/2 psi. On a 12" wide rim they should come in at about 26 1/2 inches, but before I did this I would buy two and fit them up to my max to make sure there wasn't a clearance problem. Also please know that I am running the 27 HP Kawasaki engine so I have plenty of power to turn these tires. So far power has not been an issue for me! THX DAN, best of luck let us know what you do

biggest tire

[B] The 26 inch Gator tires that I have on the front of my Max IV, are maybe a 1/2 inch taller than the factory 26 inch Good years ,that are on the middle and rear set of tires. All tires are aired up to 3 and 1/2 pounds of air pressure. I have a 25 Hp Kolier motor in it now, so my question is this : would the 28 inch Swamp Fox Plus tires, aired to 3 and 1/2 pounds of air pressure, on a 12 inch rim,choke down my 25 hp motor much, when climbing up hills and slogging thru deep thick mud? Most often though, I find myself riding on challenging muddy trails, and climbing up wet banks, after swimming thru fllooded river bottoms. Is there that much difference in the torque of a 27 HP ,water cooled kaw, when compared to the 25 HP air cooled Kolier? Do the Red springs raise the lower rpms much? If so,, how much? I,m assuming that with higher rpms to a point, your lower end torque would also increase?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-30-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Responce to Mudbug

No I don't think you would have a problem at all . A 27" AMS Swamp fox aired to 3 1/2 psi would give you a ride height of about 25 1/2 inches. Your 25 Horse engine should have know problem dealing with that ride height. I keep mine aired around 7 PSI which give me a 26" ride height which raises the Max about 3/4 of an inch over the goodyears. The 3/4 inch raised height makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH MUD AND WATER. 7 psi gives me a much better ride than the Goodyears and you will not believe the difference when you come out of the water and hit a muddy slope. The Goodyears will slip like crazy and the Swamp foxes just grab and go! Reference the red spring clutch-What a red spring does is keep that engine in it's power band! That means slower through muddy power consuming conditions but that engine will not lug!!!!!!! Its takes longer to get to top speed but your top speed will not be affected. It will make your aatv feel like a tank at first but once it's broken in it's a hard system to beat for the type of extreme driving I do. I spend about 90% of my time in the most extreme conditions you can imagine!!! I haven't tried a gator but they should have a bite very close to that of a swamp fox tire.

+ Reply to Thread