Bed liner product on Attex Body

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bed liner product on Attex Body

Bed liner product on Attex Body

Has anyone tried using a bed liner product like Rino Liner on the Attex ABS plastic? If so what brand name is the best. I was thinking about using a roller to apply it. I have found some brands come in different colors.

Someone did it to sell an Attex real quick on Craigslist. I'm guessing that they did it as a quick cover up job to sell it and down the road it would chip off. It really doesn't look good at all in my opinion and if you want to make your Attex look new again without having to worry about a finish that'll eventually just chip off, you can just power wash the body, then take some clean white towels, socks, rags, etc and with a little acetone on them, rub a small section of the body and the oxidation will come right off. Keep doing small sections, a little at a time and it'll be bright yellow, like new. If you REALLY want it to shine, you can wet sand it with some fine grit sand paper after you do the acetone treatment and then wax the body. That's the way to go, rather than paint it or coat it with something. It'll be original, look great, and the resale value will be much higher as well.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

JP is right. I know several folks that have tried bed coating products and all have failed, and quickly, leaving a big mess for the owner to deal with. The camo tape thing has been tried by several members too-with equally poor results. You really have two options. Option 1 is JP's suggestion which works really well. Option 2 is to carefully use a heat gun and work the body a small area at a time.
    Either technique will work for the Attex ABS.

Yes thanks ! I Have been trying to get the old cheap spray paint off the body that somebody put on long ago. It is a really slow process. I will take the advice and try to get the old paint off. I messed up and got frustrated and used paint stripper...bad mistake now a have a spot where the plastic I guess melted. Then I tried to sand it which made it worse. Will the heat gun help to smooth this place out?

Also the other problem will be if I do get the paint off there are some small cracks in the inside of the top body. I will need some Yellow ABS Plastic to melt to fix them. The main reason I was going to use the liner was because I have a running Chief with some cracks that someone did a great job painting a bronze color. I tried melting the ABS plastic with the acetone but it did not work so I used some Black ABS Opoxy to fix the cracks on the body. I was trying to save the money of not having to repaint the whole machine to cover the repairs. I thought the Liner would look great on the bottom tub.

The heat gun works on faded HDPE "poly" bodies, but not ABS. Your best bet for the ABS is the power wash it, then use a power sander lightly to remove the rest of the paint. Once that's done, do the acetone trick and you'll be in good shape.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey yes, I tried the acetone and it does remove the paint but it takes a lot to soak the paint. The heat gun did not do any good as far as making the yellow brighten up. What I have done has turned out pretty good. It is not real bright but looks good and you can see where the Chief 400 stripes go. I will try to sand it first then use the acetone to clean it up and that should save on time and money. I am really happy with the results. Where would I get some yellow ABS? I may need a piece the size of a large bar of soap. The plastic is in pretty good shape but there are some spider cracks on the inside where the plastic is the thinnest.
    Last edited by kat266; 08-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.

You can use lego's if need be. When I did my colt body, I had to do some sanding myself to get fid of a bit of paint. A little mouse sander does wonders.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Lego's great that will make it really easy. Thanks so much for all the help so far !!

Keith

Having a problem, I sanded most of the paint off and I then used the Acetone to remove the leftover paint from the ABS body. Now it turns white looking, how can I fix this or have I messed something up?

+ Reply to Thread