Split shift or easy shift

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Split shift or easy shift

Split shift or easy shift

Alright hustler guru's, i have to make a decision in the next week or two about which frame to send to the powder coater. One of them has the factory split shift and one of them has the factory easy shift. Which one would you go with and why? ps your opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 6 WHEELS OR BUST; 08-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.

I would go with the split shifter.I think the split shifter is one of the best upgrades you could make. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by coosaridgerider View Post
    I would go with the split shifter.I think the split shifter is one of the best upgrades you could make.
    Ditto
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 08-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I put a split shift in my Max and it is OK but not the single best mod in my opinion. I find I rarely use it and it confuses others when they want to drive it. When I bought my Hustler it had the factory spring loaded single lever shifter and it works perfectly. If I had my choice I really would put the Hustlers shifter in the Max, but that's me.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    I put a split shift in my Max and it is OK but not the single best mod in my opinion. I find I rarely use it and it confuses others when they want to drive it. When I bought my Hustler it had the factory spring loaded single lever shifter and it works perfectly. If I had my choice I really would put the Hustlers shifter in the Max, but that's me.

Keith.
    I...ummm... How... er... How can you rarely use the split shifter, you don't use it every time you change from forward to reverse?

Now, if by factory you mean the old cable type shifters, you'll do good to toss those and fab up a link type system. The only "easy shifters" I know of are the rods with springs that attach to the shift diamonds, keep them, but only to use with an other-than-cable split shifter. Just my penny's worth...
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

I guess I meant used the split shift to counter rotate. The hustlers spring loaded rods and shifter with a detent just seams easier to me and it works as good going in and out of gear as my split shift on the max. I have no plans to change it.

Keith

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I am a Max guy and I think the split shift would be a great mod, you would get the fun of split shift along with the ease of easy shift wraped up in one mod. I think it boils down to what you think is best for your riding style.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Rarely used the split shift in the 950 to zero turn, only when in a tight situation, in sloppy mud or water. I liked it because I could always be certain that my shift collars were fully engaged, and it was just easier to shift. With my original setup I had the option of split shifting or shifting both sides with the original factory lever. After I built Mudbug's 2 stick setup and saw how well it worked, I revamped mine into a 2 stick. Thing is, with the factory setup and the "easy shifters" you can have one shift collar fully engaged but the other not be, which is fine so long as you don't hammer the throttle before doing the stick wiggle thing to get them both fully locked in. The trouble starts when you are in a bind, doing the forward-reverse shuttle hammer down, trying to free the machine of some trail hazard, and neglect to do the aforementioned stick wiggle. It only took 1 time for me to "forget" and I shredded my right collar, once this happens, you WILL be going into the transmission to swap it out, because whichever side you shred will no longer stay in gear,-if it will even go into gear. Personally I think this mod should be referred to as a 2 stick shifter with a split option, and should be used as such. Just don't forget to be sure both sides are in before you gas on it...
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

+ Reply to Thread