My first 6 wheeler project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first 6 wheeler project

My first 6 wheeler project

I just got this because i always wanted one since i was 15, lets just say over 30+ years ago. I plan on redoing the entire thing including replacing the rusted away frame.
    My problem is how to identify what i have , is there hidden id tags somewhere or can you guys tell by looking at it. Its always nuce to know what you are working on.

Well here it is

Last edited by Mike; 08-13-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: moved thread from general discussion to Attex forum

I take it you must have watched the bananna splits when you were just a wee lad. Looks like an attex.

Congrats on getting your first project! Let me start by saying that you have come to the right place for information and help on your project. There are a lot of users on here with a lot of great knowledge and experience working on all different types of 6x6's and they will help you out during your restoration.
    Last edited by Duck89; 08-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

Congrats on picking up your first 6x6. Lucky for you, there are alot of members in the New York to Pennsylvania area that are very knowledgeable on Attex and whatever amphibious 6x6 or 8x8 machine that they come across that can provide you with sound advice, like JPswift, AmphibiousDrew, MaxIVMark, Don, George, Hydromike etc, to name a few.

We all are anxious to see your progress and await any questions, either big or small, that you may have so don't hesitate on asking.

Even though I don't own an Attex yet,,,,, I like how accessible everything is insided the machine to get to and work on, plus the machine is super light compared to others or say,, a 980 Tall Tub Hustler that I own, that weighs almost half a ton.

We all love to see rebuilds, so Keep us posted with pics and or video.

Fred.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by Ml-toys View Post
    My problem is how to identify what i have , is there hidden id tags somewhere or can you guys tell by looking at it. Its always nuce to know what you are working on.
    It looks like an ST/295 to me. Probably a 1971/1972 machine. There won't be any specific tags identifying it other than a sticker on the the front corner of each side of the machine. The frame will likely have a date stamp on the top frame rail in the back right-hand corner. It's small, only about 1/8" high character. If you can find a frame from an ST/400, it'll bolt right in, and you can reuse your engine mount. (or you could just upgrade to a 400 JLO ) They're neat, light little machines. The little JLO singles can really move them along.

Hmike's right by the looks of it. If the engine hasn't been swapped already, it's an ST295. Any of the later frames should fit in the body, and I'm sure one of us has a useable unit already out. The '73 and newer frames use a different chain routing, but it doesn't create a problem.

Congratulations on the Attex. They're a great machine to have as a first rebuild: simple design, parts easy to find or fab, and lots of fanatics out there that have done it before.

Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks for all the input, i really appreciate it. Glad to hear that there are available and interchangeable parts for these. I actually got this from the original owner.
    As far as the motor goes what horsepower might that be ? My bro in law told me to put my 440 2cyl sled motor in it but it seems like too much to me, stock is better i assume.

Btw that it one of the coolest gearboxes i have seen. I do lots with go karts but that thing is sick

Quote Originally Posted by Ml-toys View Post
    As far as the motor goes what horsepower might that be ? My bro in law told me to put my 440 2cyl sled motor in it but it seems like too much to me, stock is better i assume.
    The 295 is rated at a tad under 22hp at about 6,000 rpm. Here's a link to the scan from the JLO service manual with it's specs. The L-295 is on the right hand column.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/jlo-t...-manual-60.jpg

Some Attex machines came stock with fan-cooled 440 JLO engines, and some had a 484cc Chaparral engine. It's not always "too much", it depends on what you're looking to do with it. A properly-tuned 440 or 484-powered Attex machine is capable of nearly 45-50mph in a stock configuration and appropriate gearing/clutching. As long as the T-20 (that's the transmission model number) is in good shape, it'll handle the horsepower without issue.

Speaking of the transmission, it looks as though your machine may have sat idle for a while. When it comes time to inspect the transmission, I think a good initial step would be to physically remove it from the frame and drain/inspect the oil (hopefully Automatic Transmission Fluid) to see what condition it's in. These transmissions use a friction material on steel bands to slow/stop a rotating drum/planetary setup on each side which allows it to steer the machine. One quart of quality ATF is what's required. Too often, folks think of these as true "gear boxes", and add gear oil out of misunderstanding. The ATF provides appropriate lubricating and cooling properties for the friction material, and when properly taken care of, these transmissions can last through 40 years of moderate abuse. There are a couple great illustrative walk-throughs here on the Site detailing a thorough tear-down, inspection, repair and reassembly of the transmission. I know that's a way's off for you, but you might get to it sooner than later....

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your attex.The trans is a t20 which is one of the best,It can take as much power as you want to put in your machine.If i'm not mistaking the original motor is around 12 hp.

Thanks hydro that is some great info you provided there and thanks for all the tips.

+ Reply to Thread