Extreme OX..with a yamaha 70la outboard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme OX..with a yamaha 70la outboard

Extreme OX..with a yamaha 70la outboard

I've just posted some pics in the gallery. I'm testing my ox (with the floats) with a yamaha 70 hp. So far the results have been mixed. I'm getting some speed but it's like pushing a wall through the water. Also i need to add some floatation aid to the rear where the outboard is. After I have it set up properly and tested (fingers crossed it will survive), i'll post a video. IMG-20120820-00003.jpgIMG-20120820-00006.jpg

That is one huge engine on that Ox. Add a section of lower body in the shape of a "V" and see how fast you can get going. Put it in front of the tires, like a snow plow, and pointed like a boat hull. It wouldn't be any good in rough terrain but a water speed test would be interesting.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

please don't do that, you're going to swamp your machine. Anything over 9.9 hp is a huge waste. You'll never get it on step. You don't even need anything close to 9.9 hp to push it adequately. 2-5 hp air cooled is all you need. You won't clog your cooling ports. If you want a really big water capacity I would add dual wheels and carry additional gear to include tracks if you really think you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    please don't do that, you're going to swamp your machine. Anything over 9.9 hp is a huge waste. You'll never get it on step. You don't even need anything close to 9.9 hp to push it adequately. 2-5 hp air cooled is all you need. You won't clog your cooling ports. If you want a really big water capacity I would add dual wheels and carry additional gear to include tracks if you really think you need them.
    Buzz,
    It's a done deal. I had a 9.9, and it struggled without the tracks (1 - 2 mph). It struggled against the current so i just need something to get me up to 5 mph to counter the current. I have a 25 hp that will go on this machine. I'm getting 2 - 3 mph out of that with the tracks.
    I am taking inspiration from these guys...20 hp on an argo 6 x 6..

Redmapping - Media
    http://www.redmapping.com.au/Yamaha%20Media%20News.pdf

Mine seems to work, i just need to do some more testing just to make sure. The 70 hp is for mainly river use, and to foray to some sites that are close to the river and not to trek up and down in the mud al day every day.

I for one would like to see some video of that beast in action!

Wow 70hp outboard! You like power, thats for sure. I'm not sure that the machine is really structured for that sized outboard, even with the heavy reinforcement you've done. I think the machine is too stubby and top heavy for that kind of power. From the engineering I've studied, you may be able to overcome the speed issue you discussed but you may also have created a stability issue in the process.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the machine in action however, but I would take it easy on the power of the outboard.
    I think this will work but it may be a handful. During WW2 engineers were able to put float screens around Sherman tanks and make them somewhat amphibious during the invasion of Normandy. Most sank on the trip to the beach though. I hope this doesn't happen with this machine.
    Let us know how it works out.

I applaud your efforts, I don't mean to sound too negative. I would just really hate to see you lose a lot of money. I am only being honest. There is a point of diminishing returns on some things. The machines are made to cross water if necessary. In my opinion going against the current isn't really necessary. With your tracks, you could certainly get to a spot where you could cross if necessary. If a river is your only true access, I would find some sort of large skiff to carry your machine. Your headlights are only sealed so well.

Yeah diminishing return indeed. Sinking is still a real possibility but the ox is very sturdy on the water with the 'pontoons." I won't get any crazy speeds because it's like pushing a large barge in the water, hence why I had to jump from the 9.9 to the 70 hp. I had to work out how much thrust was needed to push the ox, which is now approximately 3000 pounds (minus the outboard). I correctly calculated that the 25 hp high thrust would only double the speed of the 9.9 (from 1 - 2 mph to 2 - 4 mph). The 70 hp i think will max out at 5 - 7 mph and no more. It can't take any serious waves as is without some more floats. I think this is as far as i'll go and see if it works out. I've made the investment so i'm just trying to milk it for all that it's worth..But I'll keep you all posted and post a video as soon as i have it set up properly...if it survives!

More pictures of the second ATV. I have a video that i'll post later. But this is...and it is done deal. Just a few things that need to be done here and there...Will start using it next week. I need some advise concerning the best way to get the atv out of the water and on to land. It's a scary experience so far just trying to get the tracks up on the bank.
    Attached Images

To hell with the naysayers - bigger is better put some videos of this redneck ish on here for us all to enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread