1970 argo trans

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1970 argo trans

1970 argo trans

Moving along with my rebuild. Motor is set to go in soon so now I must turn my attention to the transmission. Until now I have not even given it any thought. First question. Is it as a T20? or are those on other machines. Second, where and how much/type of oil goes into one of these. I can't seem to locate a drain plug but it looks like there is a breather tube on the top. Is this where I put the oil? Do I drain it with a siphon pump or just flip it over and let it pour out? I have been reading the posts on mechanical brakes and so far I'm not looking forward to working on those. Any help would be great.

Excellent question. I'm trying to do the exact same with my mid 80's. I have no idea what I gave but did see the breather on the top that's curved down. My transmission has two forward speeds if that helps any?
    I saw a something on here that someone had made a vacum out of a pail and another hose. They just sucked the oil out of the top. Not sure what tranny it was though but I'd bet that's how we get the oil out?

Pull the firewall,and the drain plug will be at bottom middle of trans.facing driver.It doesnt drain very well cold and will make a mess as it wants to drain down the trans.I think a short pipe nipple (I think its a 1/8 NPT) will make it drain to where you can use a pan.The breather is also a dipstick,it should have a notch stamped on it about 1/4" up from the bottom.80w-90 or 85w-140 gear oil will be fine depending on your climate.

Pull the drail plug and suck up the oil as it comes out the hole. You don't even have to monitor it, just stick the end of the "Wet Line" (Gray line)close to the drain, and the oil will get sucked in.

RD

Nice RD - that bucket could have saved my last shop vac.

best upgrade for a 70s argo trans is get rid of the woodruf keys that hold the brake flanges on, and replace with real key stock. oh, and a bolt and washer work well to keep the key stock from rattling out!

OK, I can't seem to find the drain plug. Maybe the older ones didn't have drain plugs. Another question, how much oil do I put in? I figure if I fill it until it reaches the breather, as it expands, it will just spew out the breather. I guess as long as it has some oil in it, it will be OK.

+ Reply to Thread