1969 attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1969 attex

1969 attex

Just began restoring what I was told was a 1969 Attex.Not sure if this is true.There are no markings on the machine.Only says 297 Attex on body no ID plate.Any help out there?.I am allso looking for idler sprockets and 4 cycle clutch.thanks Bill W.Newfield maine.
    Attached Images

It's a '69 or '70.......maybe '71 at the very latest. Attex didn't mark the frames on the first generation machines like yours. You have a model 297. For idler sprockets you can go through www.surpluscenter.com and you can get a clutch here: Recreatives Max Clutches | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Whatever you do, NEVER DEAL WITH RICHARD CLARK/ROUTE6X6. He sells inferior quality parts at ridiculously high prices, and his customer service is horrible. Many, many people have been burned by him. Good luck on the project and we look forward to seeing the progress.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I just looked at your pics and I see you have the 3/4" axles with the squared off ends. This means your machine is most likely one of the very earliest ones, around 1969 like you stated.

You might want to look for a set of larger outer bearing flanges and 1" axles from an Attex ST/300/D or similar model. It'll save you trouble with bending axles and make the machine a bit more durable. You'll also need the sprockets as well. Try posting a wanted ad here on the site. It seems like there's quite a few first generation machines out there, so someone will have what you need.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

ok I thank you for your time and info.I just picked up another attex a 1972 even have the owners manual with it.The machine is in rough shape but I have enough parts now to build one from the two.will post some new pics of the 72 soon thanks again Bill west newfield maine

I was told mine was a 69 as well and Richard wished me like on finding anything but mine looks nothing like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiscool View Post
    I was told mine was a 69 as well and Richard wished me like on finding anything but mine looks nothing like yours.
    Oh Richard Clark? Completely disregard what he told you about finding parts. There are quite a few members here on 6X6World that can help you locate the correct parts for a first generation Attex. Post an ad here on the classified section and you'll find what you need.

hey everyone i was looking for a "project" back in july and found billm4200's project attex on craigslist. i eagerly dragged 2 truck loads of parts home to figure out what i had gotten myself into.

i sorted everything out and started a light re-assembly to figure out what i had, and what it was gonna take to get this moving again.

after some preliminary research i decided the frame needed to be straightened and reinforced.

upon inspection of axles and bearings the 3/4" axles had one that was bent, and another with a bad bearing. also found to be "the" weakspot while researching. the 72s 1" axles were all there minus a hub and i had 4 good firestone flotation tires.... not a great start.

i decided to purchase new yerf-dog go-cart rims. they came with a 1" bore and measured 8x7. i found some Carlisle AT101's on eBay for a good price. after this i decided the old axles wouldn't be good to mix with the new stuff, so i machined new axles. i ended up adding 1.5" to the axles, making the machine slightly wider.

after replacing 2 bearings i was able to install the new axles and chains

i fabbed up a new motor mount for the 16 hp briggs vangaurd and installed the new clutch

wrapping up the axles by welding collars on for the new rims.

all but a throttle cable and its test time!

after rigging up a throttle and a test seat, whose gonna go first?

after some immediate adjustments i was able to take it out in the woods to really stress everything before i get to putting it in the tub. all i can say is there is not much that will stop a 6x6! its such a tank, i had so much fun kicking and scratching up steep hills while maneuvering between trees!

although my fun was short lived i am currently going through the baker hill 7000 due to the driven sides planetary getting a little whiney.

who wants a milk shake?

love those baker hill trans just something about being vintage and they work good too let me know if ya have any questions i have had some experience with those very early machines
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

i did have one question at this point, what do people run for oil in the baker hill trans? and how much?

fairly certain it was just 90weight gear oil we used since its all just metal no friction bands or surfaces
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread