Amphibious ATV's VS. Rhinos, Rangers, etc

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amphibious ATV's VS. Rhinos, Rangers, etc

Amphibious ATV's VS. Rhinos, Rangers, etc

OK guys, so I was doing some research to see what all the hype is about with these Yamaha Rhinos, Polaris Rangers, and other vehicles like them. I can appreciate any well engineered machine first of all and I wanted to be as unbiased as possible when I made the comparison to these and 6x6 amphibious ATVs.

I saw some machines on ebay where the owners put turbos in them to get them just over 30 HP, huge lift kits, long travel suspensions, HID headlights, seats, etc etc. First of all the parts are super expensive, I was shocked. It seems to me that no matter how much you put into these things they just arent nearly as capable as compared to even a stock amphibious 6x6. They just seem like lifted golf carts or just bigger versions of 4 wheelers. I like to go mudding and climb cliffs, rocks, etc. Ask Mike C (hydromike) about the test track in the woods in my back yard. I would never even consider attmepting to do what I do in my 6 wheelers if I was driving a Rhino or a Ranger. It would either flip the thing, get it hung up in the middle or just get burried in the mud. I pull all the big jacked up 4 wheelers out of the mud with my Max II and I though if these 4 wheelers get stuck, imagine how bad a Rhino or Ranger would be burried. I just cannot understand the concept in buying this machine when you could go out and get yourself a amphibious ATV for thousands less. The only reasons I could understand is that they have suspension and maybe buying one of these machines is just following the main stream and jumping on the band wagon (and that is soooooooooooo not me at all).

I may be comparing apples to oranges here but I am going to throw this out here for you all to consider. Maybe you want speed.....I built a 1969 Attex 6x6 racer for under $1000 that has between 40-45HP, it is very light, very safe, very stable, and very fast. Now what if someone wants to go fast in a Rhino, they put a turbo on it, Nitrous, exhaust, etc etc. After they spent $20,000+ on this they go fast but what else can they do with it? Can they float? NO Can they go through deep mud?

NO Can they do anything spectacular? Not that I can see. Now what if you want a utility machine. Well you can get 6 wheelers with a dump bed (Max Buffalo Truck), you can get a 4 passenger machine, a two passenger machine, etc etc. You can get a Rhino or a Ranger, but it still will not do what a amphibious ATV will do. It cant pull, carry, swim, go through the mud, etc etc like an AATV can. I passed some dirt bikes and 4 wheelers they all stopped me and said, "Wow that thing is cool......a 6 wheeler, thats awesome!" They all said, "Those things go through anything!" There was a huge mud bog that was about 50 feet long and who knows how deep. The guys all told me how these big trucks on 44" Super Swampers would get stuck in there and they challenged me to go through it. Well sure enough I attempted and I crawled through it with my Max II with 22" tires and an 18HP Briggs. They applauded and said that they all wanted to get one but they didnt think they made them anymore. I think that is the problem with amphibious ATVs. They need more exposure. Sites like this promote the hobby and hopefully will help people realize how great they are.

I just dont get what is so special with the Rhinos and Rangers. In my opinion these things are very OVERRATED! Not to mention overpriced. And you would go broke trying to buy all the accessories that your neighbor just put on his machine. We should all spread the word about how great our amphibious ATVs and help our hobby grow. Lets hear everyones thoughts on amphibious ATVs VS Rangers, Rhinos, and similar utility vehicles.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-20-2007 at 12:45 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I agree. I think the largest problem with AATVs is lack of exposure. Argo does a great job marketing to the hunting crowd but other than that, there really isn't a buzz about AATVs. Here's a few things that push people away:

- Dealers are few and far between. If the normal consumer has to drive 50+ miles to a dealer it is a big downfall especially when they can go 10 miles to the local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealerships for a rhino type vehicle.

- The current media (websites, demo videos, brochures, etc) are outdated (the main reason for this site). How do you expect to draw in a young ATV/offroading crowd if you don't offer the latest technology, pictures, videos, etc. Look at the 4 wheel ATV market and you will see professional music videos, flash based websites, etc.

One of the biggest attractions on ATV forums are the videos that owners create and set to music. I have seen some VERY professional looking videos that took several hours of editing. Even if you don't like ATVs, they are so cool that you can't help but watch.

- The used market is scattered about as much as the dealers. I know a lot of you guys around NY see lots of these machines for sale but I see maybe two every 6 months in the trader paper and sometimes those are in different states. Go to buy a used ATV, Rhino, whatever and you can probably easily find one in your area

- The parts market is tied up. If you have a Max or Argo you can order from dealers/factory but if you are restoring any other machine there is virtually a monopoly on the parts market and either of the few places that you can order parts from are old school. You call or email to see if they have the parts. no catalog, no website with pictures, etc.... The 4-wheeled ATV market is flooded with parts, aftermarket parts, anything you could want. And you have several places to order from and you can see what you order with detailed descriptions, etc.

- Finally, I think most people here on the forums and most AATV owners in general like to work on their own stuff and have at least some basic mechanical knowledge. If you don't then you won't want to grease bearings, tighten chains, adjust T-20s, check air pressure in tires, etc. and since there is no dealer close by then chances are you will have to drive a long ways to have it serviced....it just doesn't make as much sense as getting something close by.

Just a few things off the top of my head that have AATVs behind Rhinos and others before you even test drive one. Once you take a ride though, the only real negative that they have is the lack of suspension.

I'm with you Jeff. I feel frustrated that other people aren't into them as much as they are other machines. Just like you, everywhere I go, people ask about it. Then they want to ride or see me go through something that they think I can't. Eventually they say how cool it is but I have yet to see another one around my area...

You said every thing there is to say. I'm tryin hard to get people interestd in these. This Attex should open some eyes.But I'm with you, I'll take a good old Max with a 18Horse any day. I kinda get to do both, If I wanna do some exploring or fishing I take the Max, If I go out with a crowd that likes to go fast I'll take the Attex. Soon I'll be able to keep up with them, mabe even loose them. Would'nt that be cool. Ive met a few guys out here 1 has 2 Max's, 1 a Max IV.,And another guy has an Argo. We'll start showing these thing off. If it ever cools off. It's been over 110 deg for the last 25 days. This might sound stupid but it's almost to hot to go swiming.My pool water was 90 deg today. Any way I give the Rhino's and Rangers the thumbs DOWN

You've all hit the nail on the head. It's funny; everytime I go to a ride (yes, every single time) I stop in an get gas in the Jeep and someone (yes, every single time) asks me about the six wheelers. This time I only had the RIM, and a guy down in Franklinville asked me if it was amphibious. I told him yes. (then he asked me if it floated... I was a bit confused as I thought that it's float-ability was implicit b/c of the definition of "amphibious". Ahh... Franklinville....).

The typical questions ensued:
    Q: "You steer it with sticks?"
    A: "Yes, and they're "laterals"..."

Q: "How fast is it?"
    A: "Depends on who's driving; maybe about 35mph"

Q: "How big is the engine?"
    A: "Big."

Q: "They don't make them anymore, do they?"
    A: "Actually, they still make this machine about 40 miles away."

I live in a pretty rural area of WNY, and there are quads and bikes going up and down my road every day. They're all younger (14-18?) kids, and they usually travel 2 or 3 at a time. I guess my point of this is that it's dominantly the younger market that really needs to become interested in this. Quads are a performance balance between agility, speed, and their ability to "go through stuff". AATVs aren't generally known for their top-speed prowess (even the mighty Superchief included.) There are some pretty budget 250cc quads that go by my house doin' about 60-65mph. No kidding.

Add to that the fact that no kid is going to want a big slug Max II / Argo Bigfoot/ Attex ST/*** when their buddies are blazin' around in 250cc Hondas.
    I still think that AATVs are an evolutionary step above quads. There needs to be a revolution in the entry-level AATV market at some point. The basic technology basically hasn't changed in almost 40 years. An exception would be the innovation of more reliable engines (4-stroke and 2-stroke alike), and a more durable drive train.

I'll never own a quad, nor will my future children. I keep thinking of a family down at CR this year; A guy had a 15ish year old daughter that had her own Max II. She came back from every ride completely covered in mud. I was thinking about how many 15 year old boys would be influenced into getting into the AATV market if they had this sort of influence. But, there ARE no young guys at these rides. I'm putting the constraints of "young" between the ages of 12 and 19. It seems that these are really the formative years for influencing kids in a positive amphibious way. You have to reach them, though. There's no diversified marketing out there. When is the last time you opened up a magazine and saw a Max ad? How about television? That's why a good lot of us try to expose our machines as much as possible. I'm no marketing genius, but I certainly know when I'm NOT marketed to buy a product. RI has been in my back yard for my entire life, and I've never, ever seen a Max advertisement. For you western NY'ers, I bet that if you saw as many Max billboards as you do for Cellino and Barnes, there'd be a lot more Max's on the trails.

~m

As far as RI is concerned, even their brochures that you get when you are interested in buying one are old. I ordered one of their videos and brochures about 10 years ago when I was first interested in an AATV. Then last week I got another brochure and it hasn't changed much at all.

The worst part for me is that nowhere in the brochure does it show a Max in action. It just shows it parked. I got an Argo brochure the other day as well and right on the front page there are 4 different pictures showing what you can do with an Argo.

I'm not bashing RI at all, it's just frustrating knowing that they have the ability to get many more people interested in AATVs while increasing sales volume at the same time. It's a win/win?

Rhinos

Rhinos are great in the desert or rocky mountain conditions out west, nothing better, but for the muddy water conditions presented on the east coast, forget it! I showed A rhino sales man a video of my MaxIV going through the mud a the only thing he could say is, "I'll have to get me one of those things".

two different animals two different applications for two very diffent mindsets. each one has their place and each one exells at what they were designed for.

I would take a rhino over a quad but for some quad guys they could never conceive of such a thing.
    When i am out in my Attex what i normally hear is 'Very cool, looks like a rough ride, SLOW!" if argo , max or any other manufacturer stepped into the game and provided a fully sprung machine that was more stable at high speeds then it would take off like a rocket in sales i am sure.
    If it was profitable they would do it, but most folks do not need nor desire what is offered (noth its attributes and its limitations) by these machines.

each machine has it's time and place. My wife and I love to ride in the rocky mountains of montana but the only way in is with an atv in the summer. with the width restrictions placed on almost all forest service trails of 50" wide the only golfcart rhino like machine that can go anywhere is the polaris ranger razr. Six wheelers are fantastic and I cannot wait until I can finish mine and use it regularly but these machines would not be useable on our trails. I have watched all the videos of the six wheelers (awesome by the way) and have noticed one common theme, very few rocks.

there are a couple of places where I would love to take some of you guys where there are actual jeep trails. the going would be slow but when we got there you could drive right into the lakes and go fishing. Look up cook city, mt and you will see what I mean

I guess what I'm trying to say is don' be hatin'

I love anything with an engine from aircraft to radio control trucks, and all us of here share one common bond, we love the outdoors and the smell of dead dinosaurs in our nostrils.

P.s.

I can't wait to take my wedge to the sand dunes in idaho and blow the minds of all the atv'ers and rhino riders with it. I have seen everything from buicks to snowmobiles in the sand but never a six wheeler

Max IV in rocks

Quote Originally Posted by tanker View Post
    each machine has it's time and place. My wife and I love to ride in the rocky mountains of montana but the only way in is with an atv in the summer. with the width restrictions placed on almost all forest service trails of 50" wide the only golfcart rhino like machine that can go anywhere is the polaris ranger razr. Six wheelers are fantastic and I cannot wait until I can finish mine and use it regularly but these machines would not be useable on our trails. I have watched all the videos of the six wheelers (awesome by the way) and have noticed one common theme, very few rocks.

there are a couple of places where I would love to take some of you guys where there are actual jeep trails. the going would be slow but when we got there you could drive right into the lakes and go fishing. Look up cook city, mt and you will see what I mean

I guess what I'm trying to say is don' be hatin'

I love anything with an engine from aircraft to radio control trucks, and all us of here share one common bond, we love the outdoors and the smell of dead dinosaurs in our nostrils.
    Tanker I have a heavy duty video of my Max IV climbing a rock pile that would stop almost anything, but I filmed it with my DVD Camrea and can't get it to convert for uploading unto the internet

+ Reply to Thread