older max 2

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: older max 2

older max 2

this is my first 6 wheeler,the idea of driving something thats almost impossable to get stuck and goes through water too was apealing to me. its an older max 2 with a kohler 2 cycle 2 stroke,skid steer trans.it needed a new lower tub, i found another one with a good tub and like new tires.so i take 2 and build one. by the way, ill never do that again. thats a lot of work.anyhow, now that its done,i really dont like it. it seems that the engine has to rev really high before it will move, but once it takes off it will haul butt. i dont think it should have to rev that high, is there an adjustment that can be made on the torque converter or maybe the wrong converter.the trans is hard to get in reverse sometimes, is there an adjustment for it too? guess i should get a manual. the ones i see on line look like fun,but im really not impressed with mine. one other thing, is everyone going to 4 stroke,and if so why? would that require a diffrent torque converter? thanks guys. i really like input from people that know well what they are talking about

I went to the same thing when I got my first max too. A couple of things you should check. First check your belt and the tension. Next check the spring in your driven clutch. That is the one on the transmission. The red spring is the one four stroke engine machines use to get the greatest low end power possible. But you having a two stroke you may be most satisfied with the green spring.

4 strokes make more low end (off the line) power and that helps in turning these machines and moving from the get go. Our max ll has a cheap 13hp honda clone engine 4 stroke from northern tool and pulls very well for only being a single range where we live. Mountains with steep trails. If its that big of an issue and the clutch spring already mentioned doesn't fix the problem a cheap 4 stroke would definitely solve your issues.
    1983 max ll: Getting a 14 HP vanguard and some other custom mods.
    1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4: dvx 400 carb, msd 4217, kenda bear claw htr's.
    2007 Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans Diesel: Stock.
    1997 Kawasaki prairie 400 4x4: Custom rollover bodywork.
    1986 Isuzu Trooper II: Factory Diesel/5 Speed, 30+mpg daily driver.

+ Reply to Thread