Oil change help...this sucks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil change help...this sucks

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

Oil change help...this sucks

Service time... yuck... I always dreaded the messy fluid change. It always seemed that no matter how much care I took to prevent it I wound up with one oil or the other or both in the floor before I finished. I've read in several posts about others having the same problem and I know I am not alone in the experience. Reading in the trackster service manual, the way to go about changing the fluid in it's transmission is to drive the rt track onto something so that side is about 18" higher than the left. Then pull the lowest mount bolt, then the temp sender and let all 7 qts flow out into my tub, and out the 3/8" hole where I pulled the bolt. Well... that's fine except that the sender hole is about twice the diameter of the bolt hole, which means oil everywhere..
    So here is an idea:
    #1 using a 5 gal bucket with a sealing lid, cut a hole big enough that my shop vac hose will fit snugly in.
    #2 drill a second hole for a 1" suction hose to fit snugly in. A smaller hole for venting may be needed, mine is a big vac and the 1" hose will create too much restriction
    #3 push the suction hose far enough into the bucket to keep oil out of the shop vac hose.
    #4 attach hoses, turn on vac and suck up oil without getting it into the shop vac hose. (they are a pain to clean oil and dirt out of) Oil goes in bucket leaving my shop vac clean. Remove lid and pour oil into storage container.
    What do you guys think about that?
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Sounds like you're going to end up with something that looks a lot like this

RD

Exactly! Didn't know if anyone had tried such a thing but since you have, how well does it work? I was thinking to use a smooth fiber reinforced suction hose so the oil doesn't collect in the ridges. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Sounds like you're going to end up with something that looks a lot like this

RD
    I use that exact same homemade system to clean ashes from the fireplace and woodstove
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I might build me one of these to clean charcoal ash out of the barbecue!

Might work. You an also look at marine sites, look for oil suction pumps. Commonly used to change oil in marine engines. Also look up Fumoto drain valves - everything I have (well, except for the XR's) has these. Huge help!

Quote Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
    Might work. You an also look at marine sites, look for oil suction pumps. Commonly used to change oil in marine engines. Also look up Fumoto drain valves - everything I have (well, except for the XR's) has these. Huge help!
    Here's a link for Fumoto QuickOilDrainValve.com
    2011 MUDD OX KUBOTA TURBO DIESEL

Works perfect.

I've never tried it on ash or coal, but it works great for oil

RD

I like the drain valve but there is one problem, the temp sender doubles as the drain plug. Thought about installing a tee, just don't like the thought of a false or inaccurate reading. I'll probably change over to a temp gauge instead of the light. Not something I have to worry about for a while yet anyhow. But I'll definitely be building the oil catcher.

When I converted my T/Boss to a Vanguard i pulled all my fliud drain plugs and installed ball valves with the needed pipe nipples to the engine and trannys. I spring-loaded the handles so they couldn't "Accidently" open, and installed lengths of hose (With the correct pipe-to-hose nipples) that are long enough to run out 1 of the tub drain holes. Come fluid changing time, I just run the hoses out the drain holes and open the valves. When done, I just coil them up and tuck them away in the tub. Works like a charm and eliminates "That Mess".
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread