Registering in California? OHV? Boat? or?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Registering in California? OHV? Boat? or?

No. All I remember was that it was on CL and the ad made a point of it being street registered and showed a photo of it from the back showing the plate.

I would like at least a green sticker as you need one and a spark arrestor if going to a OHV park around here. My wifes pretty good at getting this done as a I built a sand drag Dodge Ramcharger 2wd and she got one for that. But the serial number thing is going to be the problem.

I poked around the CA DMV web site a bit and we are not ATVs. An ATV needs to have 3 or more low pressure tires, a seat that the operator straddles, and handlebar steering. A low speed vehicle has to be able to do 20MPH but no more than 35. One definition I saw said more than 3 wheels, the other said 4 wheels. So maybe if you get to DMV on a good day you could register for on highway use as a LSV. That means you can't drive where the speed limit is > 35. Any on road registration requires that the manufacturer has submitted for on road emissions testing.

Interesting, but I think that on road emissions testing requirement only stands for newer vehicles.

utv's might be the answer
    Last edited by Czechsix; 09-21-2013 at 01:16 AM.

ive talked to many people out at the dunes who are cali residents and they say its very hard to get even their side x sides regestered their, and that a street legal 6x6 would be laughed at. so many of them get theirs regestered in az and avoid the whole cali headache, you can get anything in az regestered as street legal. my GOLIATH is street and offroad legal and only cost me 30.00 a year and all whippers are too. you might have to just settle with and off road sticker and no plate..

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    ive talked to many people out at the dunes who are cali residents and they say its very hard to get even their side x sides regestered their, and that a street legal 6x6 would be laughed at. so many of them get theirs regestered in az and avoid the whole cali headache, you can get anything in az regestered as street legal. my GOLIATH is street and offroad legal and only cost me 30.00 a year and all whippers are too. you might have to just settle with and off road sticker and no plate..
    correct

I found a bit more on street registration. I lifted this from TheSamba.com

Here is some starters....

2013 California Vehicle Code Table of Contents
    V C Section 580 Specially Constructed Vehicle
    Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control
    Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles
    Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control

You will need

Full Lighting - Head lights (high-low) tail /stop light.
    Turnsignals with 4 ways flashers.
    Windshield - With wipers.
    DOT approved seat belts.
    Four wheel brakes.
    Parking brakes.
    Muffler.
    Smog approval or exemption.
    Fenders ( exemption only applies to pre 1971 vehicles under 1500 lbs).

There are only 500 SPCN (special construction) plates issued in any one year, the are all gone first business day of new year, everybody that makes dune buggies, reproduction kit car, and whatever are in competition for them. Have all you paper work ready and be standing in line at 8:00 AM Monday morning January 3rd 2011 when DMV opens. Good luck....

Be aware it will be licensed as a 2010 manufactured vehicle if you can not get it into the SPCN program (this means SMOG)....

Almost everything you will need, can be looked up in alphabetical table of table of contents....

I pulled my Max II out of the forest where it was abandoned, by it's alleged owner, for a year or more due to a night of heavy drinking and a broken jack-shaft chain break. I live in the area they call the "lost sierra" here in California, which has a lot of off road trails to play on. I will work on some sort of registration, OHV...boat...?, and keep everyone posted! No title, no bill of sale, manufacture out of business, Good luck to me!

FWIW, in WA I went through the titling process but did not have any old documents as my Max II is at least third-hand by now. I provided the manufacture year, and WA DMV was able to find Recreatives Industries in their make list (initials "SABE" for some reason). They asked me for Max II - some number which is probably the original engine CCs 450, 650, something like that. Price comps took some unhappy wrangling in the DMV computer to for them to accept the price I paid. I registered it for off-road only to access WA Green Dot trails. WA state patrol needed to do an inspection, used the five-digit serial as a new VIN, and I got a three-year Title - Owner In Doubt, after which will become a regular title. The WA state patrol said they see one of these about every other year. When I joked that I didn't know whether to register a vehicle or a vessel, they laughed and just did the vehicle registration.

I was offered the chance to pay more and register for on-road use, if I upgrade to the minimums like turn signals brake lights and a mirror. Since pavement is so terrible for the axles and chains, I declined.

+ Reply to Thread