4 stroke driven clutch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 stroke driven clutch

4 stroke driven clutch

After looking more closely at the specs on my Comet 94C, the stock engagement appears to be at 2100 RPM, which is a bit high for the Kohler. I imagine that the 2100 is full engagement, right? I'd like engagement to start at about 17-1800. I don't think that should be the ultimate problem, though.

Does the 1190 clutch have a 1 1/8" ID? I'd give it a shot to try it out. When I rev the engine ever-so-slightly with the belt off, the clutch engages and disengages just fine at low RPM. Heck, it's brand new; it should work great. I'm conditioned to knowing how high-strung two stroke clutches engage, so I'm not sure how to fix this problem. My issue has always been with drive clutches, but I think I figured out those problems long ago...

On a side note, I think I found a muffler that may work for the customer. I have one off of an Attex that is essentially the same, and has a 90 on it. I'll also check with the other one as discussed, and should be able to stop by on Monday afternoon with one or both of them. If I could give that clutch a shot (as long as it's 1 1/8" ID), I'd appreciate the chance to try it out...

I'm not sure with your clutch but will all of my comet clutches that I have on my sleds, All you have too do is get a lighter spring. The last one I did the stock engagement was 2800rpm and when I put a stiffer spring in it the engagement is now 4500rpms. The comet springs are color coded for engagement rpms. This may help or may not.

Thanks Bogger...

The Comet 94C is already set up for the correct engagement on the Kohler engine, but my issue is with the secondary. The secondary clutch also has the correct spring, which is the spring used in every Max from the factory. At this point, it shouldn't be a spring or cam arm issue. (it might be, but it shouldn't be).

I've done quite a bit of work on the 102C Comets on my racers, changing between 4 different springs, and 3 different cam arms between the two machines. Heck, they're simple!

It just seems that the darn secondary is still way too stiff even with the right spring. Curiouser and curiouser....

~m

Don't you just love clutch problems? I would much rather change a burned out tail light. I had a lot of clutch problems when I first got my Attex running. I grenaded 3 clutches before I got it right. The first one was just a stock clutch off a Max. It ended up in about 20pcs the first time I reved the throttle.(picture). The second one was a 94C and I still find pieces of that one around the yard and garage. That's why I have a 3/16 steel guard around the clutches now. I now have an 1190 in it ,and working well. It does have an 1 1/8 bore in it .I had to make a sleeve for it to fit the 1" crank. I did change the spring and ramp angle on the driven. And had the 1190 worked on by a guy named Roy Navarrete @ Quality Drive Systems. He used to be an engineer at Comet and went out on his own. He could answer a lot more Questions then I could. His number is (626)-293-5770 or (626)-893-0715. Tell him you got his # from Off-Road Discs/Apache Gear.
    Attached Images

1190 clutch

Mike,
    The clutch I have has a 1 1/8" bore. I will bring it in on monday, or maybe I will see you at the canal fest. It is set up to engage at 1800 RPM. I have a "high stall" clutch in my max now that engages at about 2200 RPM and I like it so far.

Just getting to these e-mails now...

The issue I'm having with the clutch is making more sense. Although it's calibrated to engage at 2100 RPM, that's engaging with no load. It'll sit there and engage fine w/o my lard butt in it, but as soon as it tries to move the machine, it doesn't have enough "puck mass" to grab the belt. It'll run through the gears fine with no load. The issue is finding the pucks (the right pucks) in 3 days.

I discovered that I'm getting some vaporlock problems where I mounted the fuel pump and pressure regulator, too. So it's off to reroute all the plumbing and electrical for THAT now, too. If I could keep fuel pressure up and get the dern clutch cal'd, I'd be set.

Dan, I have the 90 deg. muffler, and I need to buy some more tires tomorrow, too. I'll try to give you a call and stop by in the afternoon. Maybe we can work out a rental fee for the 1190.... thanks for the help!

Whipper, with my relatively low HP/rpm configuration, I hope not to need the services of Roy. I'm keeping the number just in case,though....

~m

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_Dan78 View Post
    I have a "high stall" clutch in my max now that engages at about 2200 RPM and I like it so far.

The clutch in the D/stock fully engages at around 4500. It's tough to predict what a clutch is going to do until it's in a machine. In my experience (and in my disgruntled opinion) advertised engagement RPMs are all so relative that they're really meaningless, aside from a comparison standpoint. On a 102C with 4X.X gram weights, it's supposed to "engage" at about 2300 RPM. Uh-uh... no way. Nearly double it. It's good though, b/c I can really lay on the throttle and not worry about stuff breaking. It's a smooth take off when you balance the weights and springs. A real PITA though. That's why I don't tweak it anymore...

~m

+ Reply to Thread