Other than the 8x8 tank trainer...any other AATV use in military?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Other than the 8x8 tank trainer...any other AATV use in military?

Other than the 8x8 tank trainer...any other AATV use in military?

I'll also ask over at some other specialized forums, and sum up here, but have you guys seen any other uses of AATV's in the military? Other than recreation? Most of my books are packed away, so I can't get to my U.S. military vehicle history books, but I seem to remember there were a few prototypes and test vehicles...but nothing in actual use, other than the 8x8.

My other interest and hobby is historic military vehicles, it'd be great to be able to tie these two hobbies together....

The Brits and other commonwealth troops use the Supacat. The U.S. used the Gamma Goat years ago. The M113 and the Bradley Cavalry vehicle were amphibious as well. The Russkies have a wide variety of wheeled and tracked amphib machines.

In terms of smaller machines, I think you are correct that the Attex tank trainers were the only recreational amphibs pressed into military service (of sorts).

Also include the KID 8x8 that was designed for the US to use in Vietnam. Although they never officially got a government contract several hundred were still made and perhaps a few actually used in Vietnam.

Land Tamer has developed a couple of different machines (some autonomous) for the military as well.

http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com..._Goat_Page.htm

The Gama Goat was just like a huge Sur-Trek. It did swim but not very well.
    Banned

Hustler made a military use AATV too. Here's a picture of it in the background behind the Attex 8x8. Also, if you look at this Hustler brochure (in the left hand green margin, the third paragraph up from the bottom) you'll see that Hustler mentions that their AATV was selected as a combat vehicle simulator for the US Army.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/brochures/Hustler-3.jpg
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Hustler made a military use AATV too. Here's a picture of it in the background behind the Attex 8x8. Also, if you look at this Hustler brochure (in the left hand green margin, the third paragraph up from the bottom) you'll see that Hustler mentions that their AATV was selected as a combat vehicle simulator for the US Army.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/brochures/Hustler-3.jpg
    Good eyes! I completely missed that background 6x6!

Enlarging it a bit, I see that it has a hoop style roll cage, probably a radio and antenna mount, and no body band that I can see. Does anyone have any more info on this 6x6? Pics, brochures, etc? Where'd the original pic come from. I do know of one guy that would have known about this...but sadly, he's passed on, and the info with him.

Also, to specify, I was thinking more of the civilian versions pressed into military service - not so much the Gama Goats, TerraStar, Mehli, etc. I do know, and have some pics around here, that the Coot, and the Trackster were also tested and possibly used in field trials.

The M48 and later M60 series U.S. tanks, as well as the M114, and M113 all steered with sticks. Same set up as Hustler, Max, Attex, etc., I went into the Army in 1987 and was amazed that I already had years of tank experience under my belt by growing up with amphibs. Obviously the M60s were much larger vehicles. The Bradleys and M1 series had a set up similar to what Argo uses with the yoke/steering system.

Here's a page on the Jiger, as tested by the U.S. Army.

History - US Army Jiger

That's right, I forgot about the Jiger and the US Army. I really wish I had more info on the Hustler combat vehicle simulator, but I don't. I'm quite the Hustler nut myself and would love to hear about it if it were possible to dig it up.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'll see if I can dig something up. Whatever I find, I'll post.

You never, ever know what'll turn up out in the world. Case in point: I've been interested for many years in the tristar wheel concept, used to visit the old Landmaster every so often when it was still in southern california. I remember reading about a few testbed vehicles put out by Lockheed, and they were actually thinking about marketing them as recreational vehicles. Was going to be called the "TerraStar". All I ever saw on them were photos...at least until....

There's a large historic military vehicle meet in California called the Tower Park Meet. Lots of us nuts show up there, with all sorts of interesting things. It was the end of the meet, and I was sitting down with a few friends and a beer or two, watching the park empty, and saying good bye till next year to buddies that were driving out. Then I spotted a truck and trailer driving in, with a faded yellow vehicle on the back, about the size of a VW. I took one look at it, whooped, and ran over while he was driving in. I followed him until he parked, and talked to the driver. It was an 18 year old - him and his dad had just finished restoring a mule that they brought to the meet, and when they were showing it, a local farmer showed up and asked if they might be interested in trading it for something else he had in his barn. Seems the farmer bought this vehicle years back at a government auction, ran it a bit, it broke down and was parked for years. To make a long story short, the kid went out with the mule, and swapped right there for the TerraStar. As far as I know, only three of them were built. I took lots of photos, it was in very complete condition. Had a VW engine for a power plant, I'd have to dig up the pics for any more info. Can't remember if it had a t20 in it, but it was a skid steer, chain drive, amphibious atv. I never thought I'd ever see something like that...but I did. Unfortunately, I could never contact the kid about it - tried calling, phone was disconnected, etc. I'd love to buy that thing, but seeing it, and how it was built, it wouldn't be too hard to recreate it, even in a garage.

I've got a thread going over in one of the major military vehicle forums, I'll cross post whatever I find out.

Neat stuff!

+ Reply to Thread