18hp briggs

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18hp briggs

18hp briggs

I have a couple of questions....
    1. what is the best way to tune the briggs 18hp for higher elevations ( 9,000-10,500 ft) I live at 5500 ft and it runs great at home..

2.what are the highest rpm's can this briggs take...I adjusted the govenor so I could get the (Oh crap power if needed) not that I plan the rev it most of the time . I do have a tach on it and plan to keep it under 4,000 rpms.

definately lean the mixture for thinner air at higher altitude.

Talk to your local dealer and get a high altitude jet kit for it. Go in armed with the Model, Type and Code #'s from the engine.

Governed rpm is 3600 and you will have no issues at 4000. I turn far more than that on some of my stuff and (knock on wood) have had no trouble.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Racerone3,

Thanks for the info. I have the govenor slightly modified to allow 5,500rpms. I do not plan to use that much power often, yet in a pinch I like to know it is there.

I have checked around my local briggs dealers and they have nothing for me. Any thoughts of who might sell these high alt kits.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlecrawler View Post
    Racerone3,

Thanks for the info. I have the govenor slightly modified to allow 5,500rpms. I do not plan to use that much power often, yet in a pinch I like to know it is there.

I have checked around my local briggs dealers and they have nothing for me. Any thoughts of who might sell these high alt kits.
    I go to parts tree.com Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt... for all of my factory parts. They are located in texas and show pictures to ensure you can reference if you dont know what the part's name.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

fmints,

Thank you for the web site...I know where I will be getting my parts from now. Found out though my carb does not have a fixed jet for high altitude, it is a adjustable screw just like the one for air/fuel. So I wil just have to mess with it when changing alt. Thanks again for the info.

+ Reply to Thread