80's Argo tranny help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 80's Argo tranny help

80's Argo tranny help

Not sure exactly what year it is but it's a 8x8. Just put in a 503 rotax motor. Finally I've got some power rather then the old Tecumseh motor. Did a few test drives in the driveway and it worked great. Took it into the back yard and while driving it it just revved up and would not move. The secondary spins freely and the gear selector moves but I can't get it to go into any gear at all. It like its stuck in neutral. Had to tow it out and now it sits. I was not going crazy with it when this happened. Any thoughts on this? I know I need to pull out the tranny but I'm done with this bucket of bolts. Maybe something simple or could be costly. Again any input would be great.

Is the gear selector shaft that goes down into the trans still pinned/bolted to the lever?Perhaps the lever is moving but not turning the shaft?

Joe.

It has a bolt right through it that's still there and I could see it moving the whole shaft. It felt like it was gonna grab a gear but never did when I was fooling with the selector at times. I also tried a mallot to tap the top of the tranny to see if it was something sticking. But no luck. I'm sure I'll need to pull it apart to see what broke.

wait wait wait..... I just went through this myself. I almost cryed when i though the trans poped! Bet you a six pack it is just the keys in the trans. Go look through this thread and let us know if it helps:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tion-help.html

I'll have a look at it but as for it going in gear it seems as if its not grabbing a gear. It's pretty smooth when moving the shifter so I don't know if this is the issue but ill look at it on the weekend.

I've been looking on the Internet and the pictures that match the tranny seem to be a coot transmission if that helps any?

It sounds to me like the piece on the shifter shaft that moves the gear may have broke,Simple fix if that is the case but you will have to pull the trans to fix.These are fairly simple transmission to work on just tough to get out and the front case is a little tough to get apart.

what? a coot trans? better post up a pic. I have NO IDEA how you could get a coot tans to work in an argo?

Well it's for sure not a T20. I looked up old argo transmissions and long and behold there was a bunch of pictures of what mine looks like. First place I saw the pic was on Richards Relics in the tranny section. I'll get some shots of it and hopefully it's nothing major to fix it up. All I want to do is finally be able to try this machine out. Everytime I fix something on it and think about driving it something else comes up to fix. Brake pads are a must next after I fix this.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgGot the tranny out. All I can say is this wont be a cheap or easy fix. I can tell the tranny has been apart before and I'm not sure if it was too much power that broke everything or if it was already on its way. Here's the picture of the damage. Would I be better to try and fix this or find a replacement tranny? Was my motor too much power for it? Oh by the way i was mistaken. It is not a coot transmission its a argo transmission but not a T20. So I'm still kinda unsure what it is. I got the number off the top of it and will find out this week what I have.
    Last edited by Captain; 10-14-2012 at 10:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread