Argo clutch busted??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argo clutch busted??

Argo clutch busted??

I don't know jack about this. I am about to go on a research binge on this site for information. I figured I'd post my pics and questions and see if anyone could help!

First, I guess the "big clutch" is the secondary? It was barely driveable! There seem to be two pieces missing, three total spots and only one has a thingy in it. lol

Ok and it is probably a bad angle, but when I spin the clutch it is rubbing so tightly on the "brake disc?" that it made it spin when I spun the clutch..

And I don't know what a bad belt looks like, but mine is 1 3/8" wide. I'm sure I'll find the answer to this in a second when I start researching. The clutch worries me worse, I ordered a new drive-belt today assuming this one was shot.

Any help would be very much appreciated! I'm supposed to have this beast at Busco Beach by Friday!

1997 Argo Conquest - 175 hours - 20HP Kawasaki FD620D
    Last edited by Mike; 10-10-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: moved thread from Argo forum to Transmission forum

yah, she went kablooie!!! unless thre is a keeper on the back side, it went BOOM. Try and compress it take the part on the right side an shove it over to the left (compressing your spring). If you get lucky, maybe there is a keeper in there? like a snap ring? Other wise i would be calling for a new "driven" aka "secondary" clutch..... Nice swanson speed square! Make sure you burn an inch to get a better measuremnt. the belt dont look *too* bad... i would keep it for a spare.

Also, the other one (or is it two) chunks of plastic of plastic that were on the cluch are MIA? Better find them down in the chains before they get caught in a chain and break a sproket or worse! . Also make sure that the alumanum of the cluch didnt gald (stick) to your break flange... that could raise heck with the breaks... hope it is just 3 new plastic "buttins" and a snap ring!!!

as far as the clutch rubbing on the break disk this is usually becouse the chains are not tightend properly. the adjustment is in the front and will move the whole trans and motor up. make these chains tight.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    yah, she went kablooie!!! unless thre is a keeper on the back side, it went BOOM. Try and compress it take the part on the right side an shove it over to the left (compressing your spring). If you get lucky, maybe there is a keeper in there? like a snap ring? Other wise i would be calling for a new "driven" aka "secondary" clutch..... Nice swanson speed square! Make sure you burn an inch to get a better measuremnt. the belt dont look *too* bad... i would keep it for a spare.

Also, the other one (or is it two) chunks of plastic of plastic that were on the cluch are MIA? Better find them down in the chains before they get caught in a chain and break a sproket or worse! . Also make sure that the alumanum of the cluch didnt gald (stick) to your break flange... that could raise heck with the breaks... hope it is just 3 new plastic "buttins" and a snap ring!!!
    Thanks for responding Spook! (I keep up with your thread on the motor swap, I love it) Ok, I'm not sure what a "keeper" is.. I will be back to the machine in about 8 hours, I'll compress her to see if I can understand what you mean. How can you tell from the pics that it went BOOM? lol So those two pieces missing (the wedge shaped pieces) are plastic? I hope it's just 3 new "buttins" and a snap ring too! I'll be looking around to better understand what the "snap ring" you're referring to is.

The square was the only thing in sight! lol

If I call and order a new driven clutch, is this a semi-easy install? I ordered a new drive-belt yesterday and I'm hoping it can catch a ride to Busco with someone going to see Ken Bost before they make the trip. I would call and buy a new clutch too if it's something we can install at Busco.

Quote Originally Posted by trebmaster View Post
    as far as the clutch rubbing on the break disk this is usually becouse the chains are not tightend properly. the adjustment is in the front and will move the whole trans and motor up. make these chains tight.
    It is possible they are not tightened properly. I did adjust the tension about a month ago and they're tight, but since I did it myself I would hardly call it "proper." lol

I've been reading threads related to clutches to try and understand this beast a little better. Is it only a bolt on the outside of the clutches that release them? Can I remove in-tub? It looks like it'll be another late night working on this pig! I got a cigar for whoever comes to help.

Here is the specific parts manual photo and descrip.

Number 33: the "shoe, cam" is what is missing I guess? Do they just snap in? Also, you mentioned the snap ring. Is that number 29, the "retaining ring"?

So I guess it looks like the retaining ring busted off or got messed up one way or another? Is that why the thing is pressing so hard against the brake disc? If that's the case it's all coming together now...

Will be attempting to remove both clutches this evening. Big fun!

The local shop doesn't have the individual parts, the shoes and the retaining ring. They have the whole driven clutch, old part # 126-24, replaced by the new part # 127-197. For the low low price of $388.86?!

I am going to rip the thing apart this evening and get a better idea of what's going on.

In a doomsday scenario in which I have to replace the whole clutch, someone please refer me to an economical option to a $400 clutch!

The parts manual I was referring to has two sections, I need to figure out which one applies to me.

Here is the parts for the other section of the manual. Just to make this more confusing.

the bigfoot came with a poor secondary clutch that is why it is a new part # mine hade to be replaced at 400Hrs
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreens336 View Post
    Here is the specific parts manual photo and descrip.

Number 33: the "shoe, cam" is what is missing I guess? Do they just snap in? Also, you mentioned the snap ring. Is that number 29, the "retaining ring"?

So I guess it looks like the retaining ring busted off or got messed up one way or another? Is that why the thing is pressing so hard against the brake disc? If that's the case it's all coming together now...

Will be attempting to remove both clutches this evening. Big fun!
    GG,yes the "cam shoes" just push in. Yes,#29 is the retaining that has appeared to have failed on your unit.

Joe

+ Reply to Thread