Diesel Engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diesel Engine

Diesel Engine

Hi All
    I am thinking about replacing my 18hp briggs ( 31 lbs TQ ) engine with a 18.5 Yanmar diesel engine ( 37 lbs TQ ) less RPM, less fuel usage and much more TQ. My question is what would I need to do to the clutches to insure the same rpm is applied to the T 20 tranny? Are there diff diameter clutches I can buy?

Thanks

larry

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    What machine is this being considered for and what size clutch is on the machine that is getting the transplant? Member Noel Woods put a diesel in a Super Swamp Fox (I think) and has nothing but good things to say about it. I don't recall reading anything about him having to alter anything on his clutch though. I think you will like the diesel, I don't know of a single member who crossed over to them who has anything bad to say about it.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

You should be ok with the diesel as long as you have a 1" output shaft, so your stock clutch may work. Many diesels have a 1&1/8" output shaft and some even have a 1&7/8". The bigger the clutch diameter the more expensive the clutch. Many Yanmars don't have the traditional setup with an output shaft so you will have to do some research on a particular engine. The real issue is space, do you have the room to mount the engine and line the clutches up?

I put a Winsun diesel in my Super Swamp Fox and its a great setup. It'll run all day driving that big machine on a gallon or two of diesel.

I am looking on installing it on a 2000 MAX ll, thanks for all the advice.

Larry

I considered putting a diesel in my tan Max2 several years ago. My machine would support the width of the diesel but not the height. The body could be modified and I considered using expanded metal over the engine to get the extended height but ruled it out. The width of the diesel also made getting to the chain adjusters more difficult as well. For those reasons I just put a new Briggs 18hp in that machine. The 18 fits that machine well and really gives plenty of power for most situations. I did change out the gearing on the t20 outputs to 13 teeth, which made the machine a real tiger, it did slow down top speed but I utilize my machines in gumbo mud and swamps. I also have a green Max2 with a 20hp Kohler, and I really think that the 20 is probably as big as most people will need. I don't want to discourage your diesel Max2 build however, and am looking forward to seeing what your results will be. I may do a diesel Max2 in the future too. For the moment however I'm really leaning towards a diesel Max4.

+ Reply to Thread