Sluggish starter motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sluggish starter motor

Sluggish starter motor

Been scratching my head trying to fix a starter motor issue on my Conquest. When turning key to start it feels like the engine/starter has seized before bursting into life and starting. I noticed that voltmeter drops to zero when trying to start

Replaced battery with brand new plus tried a known good battery from my boat
    Swapped starter motor from my other argo, which didn't have this issue
    Cleaned all connections on power and earth leads.
    Pulled sparkplugs from each cylinder
    Ran additional cable direct from battery power and earth to starter motor

All of the above had no effect on this initial stall issue. Today up on the hill the argo started twice with no issue then the next 3 times it feels like a seizure

I had an issue a few months ago with the front cylinder dropping out due to push rod falling from a stuck inleft valve. Turning it over with plugs out rules out compression issues unless I now disconnect the push rods to see if that impacts on the issue.

Has anyone experianced this issue........Pretty sure it will be something simple..............just can't seem to see simple at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

Have you tried bypassing the solenoid feed from the key switch.Go from battery direct to solenoid to eliminate possible faulty starter switch.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wern View Post
    Have you tried bypassing the solenoid feed from the key switch.Go from battery direct to solenoid to eliminate possible faulty starter switch.
    Good luck

Yup, I agree with Wern,,, I had the same problem with my Hustler,,, a new ignition switch from NAPA solved my headaches!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Thanks for the replies.
    I am reluctant to concede my own stupidity led me to this situation, however in the spirit of sharing.
    If anyone happens to have two starter motors sitting on a bench make sure you know which is which so that you don't refit the suspect part back in place.

I was in the workshop this morning and picked up the starter motor, noting that it appeared to be pretty clean. DOH.
    I remembered cleaning everything before refitting to my rebuild conquest. I removed the sluggish starter motor and found it to be dirty. in between the noise of the penny dropping and me kicking myself I realised that I had removed and refitted the same dodgy starter motor.

Refitted the Starter from my rebuild M/C and it started straight away.

Lessons learned
    You are never as clever as you think you are!

as a plus I can now swap a conquest starter motor in about 20 minutes

So, you're saying it's all good now?
    Nice to hear you can swap out a Starter that easy, I've never tried it.

RD

Hi Yes it's all good. Must admit to being pretty fed up when I couldn't work it out despite all my testing and replacing.

Last thing i need is an argo that won't start when your a few miles out

Having an Argo to swap parts over is all well and good, still leaves me looking for a starter for my rebuild M/C.

Looks like the damage to the starter was caused by a bad ignition switch that was allowing the starter to stay engaged after the engine had started.

RD............Swapping out a starter must be about the only job you haven't done. I am continually impressed and envious in equal measure by your amazing videos...........an Inspiration to a newbie like me

+ Reply to Thread