Trouble crossing sloughs and small creeks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble crossing sloughs and small creeks

Trouble crossing sloughs and small creeks

So after spending three full days trying to pull my friends mudd ox out of a small creek for the second time, i was wondering if anyone had any tips on crossing small creeks.

The creeks are about 4-8ft wide, 4ft deep and has steep banks.
    The problem is that once you nose in the front of the machines smashes into the bank on the other side not allowing us to pull out. I've thought about trying it in reverse or at an angle but that doesn't seem like a solution

Any Ideas?
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

Some thoughts:
    Sell the Mudd-Ox and buy an Argo
    Haul a couple Aluminium Ramps with you that you can lay across the creeks (I've done this before)
    Build bridges, A couple trees and a few spikes should do it.
    Hook the winch up high on the other side of the creek before diving in

Honestly, every situation is different, and I don't know what the trerrain is like around you. My limited experience is that the Mudd-Ox is a very heavy machine, if I was on a trail that I use often, I would build a crossing, if it was in a seldom traveled area, I would lean towards a nice set of Aluminium Ramps.

I agree with you about the reverse crossing and crossing at an angle, don't think they will help you much if the creeks are what I'm thinking.

RD

oh I have an argo, and have tried to pull out my buddies mudd ox a few times.

the terrain is similar to your videos, we often come to marshes with a creek,
    I guess we might have to take the time to put a few trees across.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    oh I have an argo, and have tried to pull out my buddies mudd ox a few times.

the terrain is similar to your videos, we often come to marshes with a creek,
    I guess we might have to take the time to put a few trees across.
    Oh, I know you have an Argo, I was refering to your buddy

OK, I know exactly what you are dealing with. I like to refer to THOSE creeks as being about 4ft wide and 800ft deep
    Sadly, I don't think there are many options for this kind of crossing

If you do come up with an answer, please let us know. I would be interested in a solution too

RD

i used to run the slues in rocky point mexico and had the same issue of narrow and deep, what i would do is get in it and drive down it til i could pull up and over to the other side instead of nose diving.

Could you use a winch to keep the front end up until the rear falls in the creek. That is if you can get to the other side on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by chcopela View Post
    Could you use a winch to keep the front end up until the rear falls in the creek. That is if you can get to the other side on foot.
    Theres really no big trees to speak of, other than that I don't know how else to keep the front end up with a winch...
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

+ Reply to Thread