399cc Rotax

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 399cc Rotax

399cc Rotax

I would like to rebuild this engine. First 2 cyl.,fan cooled engine I've ever messed with,need some pointers, first,how do we get the remnants of the clutch off?

second,what is the sequence for disassembling this end?

thanks,

Joe.

Hey, Joe;

Congratulations! You'll never want to mess with those old four-strokes again.

A good idea would be a service manual to take you over the rough spots. Either one specifically for the engine or an all-purpose manual that covers more than one. I've had this edition for years and it's great for specs and brief step-by-step. Snowmobile Service Manual Snowmobile Service Manual Clymer ProSeries Acc 0872884619 | eBay
    You'll want a clutch puller for the inner clutch sheave.
    Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks Don. Looking at the clutch,I figured it req'd some sort of jack screw,didn't realize it was aka clutch puller,lol. Thanks for the link to the manual,I will be ordering one of those for reference.Actually I just needed to figure out how to get the two ends apart,the rest looks pretty straight forward. I had my Kaw kx125 apart a couple of times and had good results with it.(This is why I'm less intimidated by this Rotax than I am the 23hp Kohler that needs attn too) There is a fellow by where I work that repairs sleds,etc for a living. Super nice guy and will help me out as far as locating seals,etc. I didn't want to distract him inquiring about the disassembly of the fan side,so I figured I'd pester you guy's I always liked my single cyl. 2 strokes and am looking forward to rebuilding my first 2 cyl

Joe.

BTW,clutch puller,am I looking for a specific type or are they universal? Thanks.

Joe.

There are pullers for almost every different clutch model and you'll need the one for the clutch you have. As for the other side, you need to remove the bottom pulley and belt, pull the flywheel, then the stator and the fan housing can come off. Good luck!

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Super,that's what I figured bout the puller,lol. Whats in the pic is all I have of the clutch,contingency plan,determine the thread and a couple other measurements? Thanks for the info on fan,so,take the three nuts off to remove the pulley? Also,is a special puller reqd to remove the flywheel? Thanks so much for the info!

Joe.

If you find the thread size and depth of the puller you need, you may be able to borrow one from one of the other members. I have a few and I'm sure other members do too. A steering wheel / harmonic balanced puller will working on the flywheel. The pulley should come off the flywheel once you remove the nuts./

Thanks Don! I have a puller for steering wheel etc that may suffice in that case. thanks for the tip on the pulley,wasn't sure on that one. Looks like it's time to determine the thread in the clutch hub,grab a few items from the tool crib and visit the die welding dept

Joe.

Hey Joe, (Where you goin' with that clutch puller in your hand?)

Sorry, had to...

If you want a really easy way out (and don't want to buy a specific clutch puller) you can use a steel rod that's a slightly smaller diameter than your clutch retainer bolt, and insert it all the way down into the recess in the crank. Cut the dowel off so the end is inside the clutch hub about 1/2" or so. Then, all you need is the appropriate bolt for the clutch hub, and tighten it down against the dowel to pull the hub off. There used to be some old Champion spark plugs that screwed into the Salsbury clutch hubs, but you couldn't really reaf (sp?) on those too hard. Hey, we used what we had....

I usually carry a couple bolt/dowel combinations for Sasburys and Comet 102Cs, and just zip tie the two together in the tool box.

It's far more rudimentary, but i works well for a cheap way out.

I determined,by the light of the Coleman Gas Lamp,that the thread is 1/2-20 in the clutch hub. Need to visit the local fastener supply for work today so, while I'm there I'll splurge and get a fully threaded,gr. 8 HHCS then get my friend the die welder to attach a length of old ejector pin to the end(that's how I get those nice welds,Don,I can't weld worth beans).Got the pulley off of the mag side,now I see how we gain access to the tab washer for assembly.Was reaching for the impact wrench last nite when it dawned on me,no power,no compressed air,o well,may have some time tonite but have a very busy wkend coming up,I'll get some pic of it up as soon as I can.

Joe.

+ Reply to Thread