Kaw FD620D cylinder imbalance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kaw FD620D cylinder imbalance

Kaw FD620D cylinder imbalance

First, an anecdote:

Last winter met with some 6X6ers in WY for some snow fun. Unloaded an my machine was running really bad. Tim (Obsessed) tossed a tiny bit of snow on the exhaust pipes and showed that the back cylinder wasn't running. He checked the spark plug wire. I put my hand down in to follow the circuit just to see what was down there and all of a sudden it started working again. It hadn't faltered like this before and hasn't since. When I got home I tried to get it to do it again. No joy.

Forward to today. I thought I would try again and see if I could get it to fail. Started it and during idle pulled the plug wire off each cylinder. There is definitely a larger RPM drop when the back cylinder is unplugged compared to the front cylinder. Thought it might be valve lash and adjusted that. Didn't fix it.

So, is this normal? If not, what do I check next?

Just tossing ideas out

Swap the SP plugs to opposite cylinders see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. Maybe try the same with the Coils.

Compression test cylinders

RD

Oh yeah, tried the SP plug trick - no change.
    Hmm, funky coil even fits the anecdotal freakiness.
    Gotta see a friend about borrowing a compression tester...

swapped coils - no joy.

Also thinking vacuum leak around intake manifold on that cylinder. I think WD40 sprayed around the gasket area uncovers that one. Will still check compression.

If those check out then I'm going to assume this is normal... ?

cold engine, throttle and choke open:
    cylinder 2: 177ish
    cylinder 1: 182ish

found no indication of vacuum leak.

So I guess this is normal for this engine.

fuel ?....carb ? try spraying just alittle bit of carb cleaner down intake when running and
    see if that changes the way it idles, use something that is very flamable could be a
    cyl is not getting enough fuel, or still could be not getting a good spark ,my .02

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    fuel ?....carb ? try spraying just alittle bit of carb cleaner down intake when running and
    see if that changes the way it idles, use something that is very flamable could be a
    cyl is not getting enough fuel, or still could be not getting a good spark ,my .02
    GUNK
    "Carb Medic" is a good product. Comes in a Yellow Can.

RD

One barrel carburetor. I would think that if there were a carburetor issue it would show in both cylinders.
    Following the fuel path is how I figured it could be something in the intake manifold on the cylinder 2 side.
    Spark actually looks (and feels ) good and snappy.

Could be that timing is just a bit off on cylinder 2. That's set by a pickup coil off the flywheel I think.

It runs well. Sort of. I use vicegrips and held rpms at 1440. Pull cylinder 1 plug wire and it drops to 1320. Pull cylinder 2 plug wire and it drops to 1280.
    I think the cheapy tach I have has a resolution of 20 (??) so that would be 2 resolutions difference.

Dug into the service manual a bit. There's an "ignitor" that also separates the cylinders. Maybe this thing is doing something. It just looks to be a big capacitor but I don't really know what it does. I would think I would see a difference in spark if this were bad and I don't.

Maybe the intake manifold gasket sticks into the fuel/air flow a bit in cylinder 2.
    Maybe a bit of wear/flat spot on cam lobe/tappet for intake valve on cylinder 2.
    The contribution test above at 1440 RPM (this is in the range of the "book" low idle for this engine) indicates a drop between 21 and 40 rpm difference.

The engine runs well. I don't think I would have known if I hadn't popped the spark plug wires off one at a time just out of curiosity.

Out of curiosity, if you happen to pop the plug wires off one at a time on your engine - let me know what it does.

I will followup with better information, but mine will low-idle with 1 of the plugs out but will shut off with the other plug out. Noticed this while testing for spark after she heated up. Can't remember which cylinder it ran better on. Will let you know.

+ Reply to Thread