Good engine for hunting purposes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good engine for hunting purposes

Good engine for hunting purposes

Ok guys I have a chaparral coming but I'm afraid it's not gonna be real good for hiring and getting through the woods. What would be a good option for this? Speed not crucial but want it to be able to get up and go. What would y'all recommend and what do you think we're looking at on prices?

If you want the most bang for your buck, I think finding a used Briggs Vanguard (V-twin, four stroke) in the 14/16/18 horsepower range would be a great start. They are original equipment in several different AATVs and can be found in a wide price range. If you look hard enough, you may be able to pick one up for a couple hundred dollars (sometimes cheaper...), but a new one will be substantially more. You'll want to make sure that whatever engine you decide on has a 1" diameter output shaft. Several Briggs engines were utilized in generator applications, and have tapered shafts, which won't readily accept the standard 4-stroke drive clutches.

A properly set up 14hp Vanny in a Max II will have plenty of get-up-and-go.

If you really want to get the best trail performance out of your machine, a Briggs Vanguard V-twin is the way to go. You will still have plenty of get up and go, but in a more reliable and quieter 4 stroke package. Price depends on how much horsepower you want. Good used Vanguards can usually be found in the $500-$800 range, new ones $1200-$1800. If that's more than you want to put into your machine, you might consider looking at some of the clone Honda engines like Duromax that you can get from Harbor Freight. Other members seem to have had fairly good luck with them.

EDIT: How do you keep doing that Mike? lol
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Touche', Stonie... Touche'....

Briggs makes a fine small engine, but so do Honda, Kohler, and Kawasaki. Any one should serve you well. Does this mean the Chap may be up for sale?
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

chap might possibly be up for sale but not sure yet. If i can start finding a few pieces here and there i may do a build on another max and put it in there as my holy crap toy.....it would be a long build but worth it. So not sure. im new to motors and all this jazz so are these side shaft, vertical shaft, etc what do i need to be looking for as far as when im browsing for deals on the net?

You need a straight horizonal shaft engine with a 1" or 1 1/8" shaft. You can usually find a clutch cheaper for the 1" size. A second machine with a G50B would be a blast. You should do it!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Irvan105 View Post
    chap might possibly be up for sale but not sure yet. If i can start finding a few pieces here and there i may do a build on another max and put it in there as my holy crap toy.....it would be a long build but worth it. So not sure. im new to motors and all this jazz so are these side shaft, vertical shaft, etc what do i need to be looking for as far as when im browsing for deals on the net?
    A horizontal shaft 16-23HP Briggs Vanguard would be your best choice. They use a 1" shaft and they're standard equipment on modern Max and Argo AATVs. A Kohler Command would work, but they're more expensive and they use a 1 1/8" clutch and they're more expensive.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

As you see there are a lot of options out there, but I must agree that the Briggs and Stratton Vanguards are hands down the better engine for the buck. They are easy to work on, reliable, great on fuel, and have all the power and torque that you can get for the money. Even though 14 and 16hp briggs are great for a Max II, the better displacement engine is the 18hp for the money. They have quick acceleration, great power and torque and can really transform a good machine into a great machine.

There is one engine that competes with the typical Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, and Honda engines, and that's the Generac. This engine is made in Wisconsin and is said to put out more power and torque than the leading sellers Briggs and Kohlers 40hp engines. The Generac 33-40 hp engines are priced very nicely compared to the other brands. There are a member or two on the site that know of this engine being installed into an amphib, and they gave the engine a great rating.

Generac 33HP 40HP Horizontal Shaft Engine with Muffler Muffler Support Bracket | eBay

If you will, read the whole advertisement posted on the Ebay ad, especially the info at the very bottom. If anything, you can at least check it out and see what you think!
    Last edited by fmints; 11-01-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added more info
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

+ Reply to Thread