Tecumseh OH160 help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tecumseh OH160 help

Tecumseh OH160 help

The OH160 in my Tomahawk is cranking over but seems to be fighting the engine compression. In addition, the positive post on the starter is getting hot.

Does anyone know if there is a compression relief valve and if there is a way to determine if it's working properly?
    Banned

Check all the connections in you starters electrical circuit for cleanleness/tightness. Sounds like an elec. connection issue.

Joe.

New wire, running from solenoid to starter. Just put it on so it's pretty tight.
    Banned

Could the starter be bad/weak? What does it do with no spark plug?

Maybe hydro locking? Fuel in oil? Just ideas.
    Last edited by LarryW; 11-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Sounds to me like a sheared flywheel key is making the engine out of time. Take the time and pull the flywheel to see if the key is sheared. Very common issues with lawnmower engines.

Take the nut off the starter post and remove the wire. then snug up the other nut on the post (don't go crazy or it will break the plastic insulator that the post is mounted in) then reinstall the wire and first nut. there are 4 brushes in most starter motors. 2 are wired to the post and 2 to ground. when the nut gets loose (no idea why they will spontaneously loosen) you will either end up with a weak connection to both brushes, or total loss of connection to one set.... then the other set tries to do all the work hence the heat
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks guys.

I'm not trying to run the engine (fuel is not hooked up) so I don't think it's fuel in the oil (thanks Larry). I will try running it without the plug in.

Reb, I'll see what happens after I get the fuel lines hooked up.

I can borrow the starter from my spare engine but that won't be available for a few weeks.

Thanks Brian, I'll give your suggestion a shot Wednesday.
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread