No time? No room? New project? No problem....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No time? No room? New project? No problem....

Red face No time? No room? New project? No problem....

While I don't have much free time, I do occasionally get out..... Usually for side work. I recently got my MC license for a KTM 2-stroke I Dual Sported.(What I had at Busco) So when I was offered a $50 Motorcycle while helping a friend's uncle, I said what the heck. No prize but a cool bike for what it was (Yamaha 81 SX400). But a guy like me probably wouldn't post up about that, not anything special, just a cool old 4-stroke twin. BUT, when I saw a CL ad looking for THAT bike specifically, with a Yamaha RD250 for a trade, $#!t got real. So I now have a 74 2-Stroke motorcycle. Was on the road, will be given a makeover over the winter, and should make a nice smoker to ride next year. If these things stopped finding me I could be happy with free time to enjoy, Sigh.......

Edit: If anyone has interest, I'll be doing a build thread but on 2strokeworld and XS400 .com (06CCDMAX user name) Probably starting mid-winter. I won't copy here to keep from cluttering.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Very cool! Those RD and RZ 2 stroke Yamaha street bikes were pretty quick bikes and they've recently begun to have quite the following of collectors and enthusiasts.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Love the series of Yamaha 2 stroke twins!! My best buddys got a 86 rz 350 that i painted and rebuilt the engine on last winter. This winter its got a set of toomy pipes, v-force reed cages, clamp on filters, and jet kits waiting in boxes!! Should hang with my ZX 7 pretty good Good luck with your project!!!!!!
    Last edited by PowerFistArgo; 11-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerFistArgo View Post
    Love the series of Yamaha 2 stroke twins!! My best buddys got a 86 rz 350 that i painted and rebuilt the engine on last winter. This winter its got a set of toomy pipes, v-force reed cages, clamp on filters, and jet kits waiting in boxes!! Should hang with my ZX 7 pretty good Good luck with your project!!!!!!
    Sounds like quite the bike! I wouldn't mind having an RZ500. I'd like to see what a modded one would do against a newer liter bike......if it didn't rip your shoulders out of their sockets during acceleration.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Although my back wouldn't appreciate it... I'd love one of these with turn down bars and turned into a cafe racer style. I'm a british bike lover, but I love this thing. Nice score! Enjoy her!!! If ever a ride through Michigan is warranted, I'd love to meet up and cruise along side. I have a Triumph Rocket III and would be very interested to trade saddles for a hundred miles or so just to remember the good ole days. Keep us updated! Oh, and when you progress in your build of it could you pm me a link? I don't visit many other sites. Thanks again for sharing!

That is a nice looking old Rd,that was my first bike back in 77 and one of the fastest 250 made. In 82 I ran across a Kawasaki ho2 750 2 stroke that was one of the fastest bikes until they where outlawed in the us. Nice find and good luck.

I've been a Yamaha fan most of my life and have owned quite a few. Although I only owned one 250 I have owned 5 RD 350's over the years - a 73,2-74's and two 75's. One Kaw Mach 3, etc. Then I got into XS 650's and had five of them. I still have the tech manuals for them so if you need any info I might be able to help. I think I may even have some parts from the 350's out in the shop like tail-lights, gauges, etc.--I'd have to look and see what's out there, it's been few years! Best of Luck on a successful resto!

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Sounds like quite the bike! I wouldn't mind having an RZ500. I'd like to see what a modded one would do against a newer liter bike......if it didn't rip your shoulders out of their sockets during acceleration.
    An RZV500 set up and properly tuned should eat your average sport bike, though there are some high end modern bikes putting 190hp to the wheels stock..

A TZ750 is another story, but there is no street version, and since only former race bikes exist..... An RZV500 is on my list though an RD(RZ)500 would be fun. (RD vs. RZ is just country delivered to, Japan is RZ, USA is RD. Some European countries switched from RD early on to RZ latter though I don't know which ones and exact year. There may be slight spec differences due to laws/regulations at the time though I'm not aware of what specifically, and I believe they were minor, some years were only different badges)
    Watch past 3:00 at least to get an idea of how fast these will go. And no it's not flat out even then, as the rider is pushing 60, and parts are a touch expensive too...

Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    Although my back wouldn't appreciate it... I'd love one of these with turn down bars and turned into a cafe racer style. I'm a british bike lover, but I love this thing. Nice score! Enjoy her!!! If ever a ride through Michigan is warranted, I'd love to meet up and cruise along side. I have a Triumph Rocket III and would be very interested to trade saddles for a hundred miles or so just to remember the good ole days. Keep us updated! Oh, and when you progress in your build of it could you pm me a link? I don't visit many other sites. Thanks again for sharing!
    I'll link it. I will be going Cafe/Flat trackish with the build, definitely going to be personalized though. If winter's busy here though it may just be a few mods at a time. Can't say I EXPECT to be near MI anytime soon, but who knows. And I may tote it to a ride or two, so a little incentive to hit a GTG there...

Quote Originally Posted by coosaridgerider View Post
    That is a nice looking old Rd,that was my first bike back in 77 and one of the fastest 250 made. In 82 I ran across a Kawasaki ho2 750 2 stroke that was one of the fastest bikes until they where outlawed in the us. Nice find and good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrmoto View Post
    I've been a Yamaha fan most of my life and have owned quite a few. Although I only owned one 250 I have owned 5 RD 350's over the years - a 73,2-74's and two 75's. One Kaw Mach 3, etc. Then I got into XS 650's and had five of them. I still have the tech manuals for them so if you need any info I might be able to help. I think I may even have some parts from the 350's out in the shop like tail-lights, gauges, etc.--I'd have to look and see what's out there, it's been few years! Best of Luck on a successful resto!
    It's not on the road yet, but I "Borrowed" my KTM's plate and it's rather quick for a little bike. Not that I'm even close to pushing it before I make it officially on the road... I looked at some Mach III and Mach IVs in the past few months before I bought the KTM. I like the triples and I like the nice oomph they have. I can't say I like the (Lack of) handling though. Great collectors items and fast though they command a few bucks anymore. I'd love a 750 to hit a show or two and go light to light.

This may get a 350 top end and gears or a 350 motor at some point. I'm all about power . But budget is the word as if it starts eating money I gotta can it, I'm house shopping.

Well. Add an RZ350 to the score. Got an 84 RZ350 (or RD350 YPVS) It's a power-valved 350 and they're fast, light and FUN. This isn't much of a project. Carb cleaning, battery and a once-over and it's on the road. Now I can have a 2-stroke fix without having to keep the project running.

For those who are interested my build thread are here:

RD250/350 build. So it begins.....

And here:

1st Bike build, a 74 RD250/350 Cafe build. - XS400 Forum
    (This isn't a 2-t site. I joined with the bike I traded, but they do more builds like I plan to do, and the XS and RD are VERY similar outside of the Power Plant )

Cool vid If I ever bought another street bike it would be a Yamaha V max they are 200hp in 2013

+ Reply to Thread