toggle(rocker) switc in place of a key ignition?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: toggle(rocker) switc in place of a key ignition?

toggle(rocker) switc in place of a key ignition?

has anyone ever done this? really want to do one rocker switch as my ignition starter. then will run my lights and other things off of separate toggle switches. Any experience or ideas? pics are alwys awesome too. oh by the way it will be wired up a jlo rockwell single not vtwin

If you understand basic DC circuits the sky should be the limit on how you configure your electrical system.If you look in this pic,the red button between the key sw and choke knob is a normally open,momentary contact PB.It supplies the signal to the starter solenoid to crank the engine(provided the key is ON).This replaces the krapped out contact in the key sw that originally did this.

I have done this on a few of my cars over the years also.

Joe.

I did this on 2 attex's when I converted it to a 4 strokes. Really simple if you understand DC circuits like Joe said. I will post a pic later on. I have a toggle for kill and push button for start along with toggles for lights, bilge pump, and dash gauges.

I did this on my Hustler. Even if you don't fully understand how all the circuts work it still wouldnt be too hard to do. I used a hooded toggle for my ignition and a momentary for my starter. If you wanted them both on one toggle, you would need to find an off-on-momentary on type of switch. This could be easily wired using your old keyswitch as a guide. Your standard 4 post keyswitch should have posts labeled ST, I, ACC, and BATT. The BATT wire goes to the input wires on your toggles. The I wire goes to the on position of your ignition switch. The ST wire goes on the on position of either a momentary switch or a push button. The ACC wire may or may not be used, you can do what you want with it.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

thanks so much guys im going back and forth on which one to do.....im also gonna run sep toggles for front lights and top lights(project in motion) im thinking about running lights inside by the motor in case i have problems early of the morning, winch etc etc its gonna be pretty sweet just havent had much time lately and its irritating me but no work no toys so gotta suck it up

Here is the dash on my Thunderchief. I did similar to my dads Superchief.

wow toys that looks really good.......anyone know if this rocker could work as a ignition starter switch? im wanting a rocker switch to start it even if i have to have another toggle for main ignition. this one has a two way spring load to come back to center. Could this be used for both starter and kill switch?

If your switch springs back to the center from both positions, then you can't use it for bot the starter and the ignition. You would also need a standard on-off switch for the ignition circut.

I found this rocker switch that should allow you to have both the ignition and starter on the same switch. This is also the site where I get my Pollak toggle switches.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 11-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

+ Reply to Thread